Is this possible ?

BX Tech talk
Widgit
Confirmed BX'er

Is this possible ?

Post by Widgit »

Thinking of attaching 1.7 Turbo motor to auto transmission on my Bx Estate.
Has anyone tried this and if so, what was the outcome ?

Tim.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Was not an option - but Xantia 1.9TD autos were made and lasted well after the introduction of the HDi's

I don't know if they used the same box - or a different one that could cope with the leaps in torque better. I'd have thought an engine - gearbox from one of these was a good starting point - but beware of the semi electronic diesel pump on later ones and make sure you know how to wire it.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

The autobox fitted to BX diesels is not likely to be up to the job, the torque would likeley dismantle the unit in short order but as Jeremy states Xantia TD autoboxes should fit.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

1.7 TD/auto's

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Hello the gearing on the standard BX diesel auto box leaves something to be desired I think. The TD has enough go to destroy the box quite quickly. A Xantia box will cope and the gearing is different and makes for a more relaxed drive and a higher top speed if that is of any interest. The main advantage is much better and safer overtaking ability.
Makes quite a nice vehicle. There could be a problem finding a Gearbox they do seem to be in short supply. Make sure it's the correct box because it looks the same as the as a BX box.
It's about 42/40 mpg around town (1st/2nd mostly not much in 3rd gear) stop start work. 53+ on motorway. It could probably be better but if it's there I tend to use it.
Cheers.
Geoff.
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

I have a pdf document (2.2Mb) on BX autoboxes - which includes the different gearing ratio variants available.
Cant remember from where I downloaded it - but now its available from my Norwegian CCC friend Brede :
http://www.citroenbx.net/autobox.pdf
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
Widgit
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Widgit »

Thanks guys,advice much appreciated as always......think I will begin searching for a Xantia box :)

Tim.
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Are we sure the Xantia came in Turbo Diesel auto? I've only ever seen the 1.9D n/a auto's.

If you do come across more than one Xantia autobox i'd be interested in one.
Over and out from me