TZD Fuel Tank Capacity

BX Tech talk
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Vanny wrote:So far in my driving history i have never run out of fuel, it has always baffled me why people run out!
You`ve never owned a Mk2 Capri with a four speed box and a tweaked 1.6 crossflow engine then? :lol:
Actually I`ve run out of fuel more times than I care to remember. Mat`s car (my old 1.7 n/a diesel) will bear testament to that as it happened so many time I lost count. Always in the same place for some strange reason but it awlays started immediately when fuel added.
Sometimes it was due to getting up late for work and not having time to get to the petrol station, sometimes it was laziness, sometimes it was because I steadfastly refuse to buy a certain brand of fuel (unless absolutely neccessary) and sometimes it was stupidity :lol:
Vauxhall apologist.
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Running out.

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Hello Cavmad how you and yours doing, OK I hope. Capri no never owned one but managed to frighten myself in a Mk1 trying tooooo hard on a wet road. But I did own a Morris 1000 that did about 30 mpg if you didnt try to hard. 1300 lump. twin SU's (large) 3-9 diff. disc brakes, anti-roll bars etc. Son borrowed it to go to London and some friends in a "hot" hatch couldnt lose him, other son in BX couldnt catch me. Still got it sort of.(long story.)
That's the one I lent to someone and they ran out of juice on the motorway.
Best wishes.
Geoff.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Re: Running out.

Post by docchevron »

Geoffrey Gould wrote: son in BX couldnt catch me. Still got it sort of
Thats only cos the bx was N/A then! And before the era of the 16V!
The only reason I couldn't keep up with it now would be that the TD dont work and I'd have to re-mortgage the house to put the fuel in the 16V! :lol:
Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Bugger, forgot I was being spied on, yes it was a normally astmatic BX but with a tweak here and there then those 1 3/4" SU's would have fed enough go juice to worry your TD. The 16V would/might be a bit different you might have to give me a few* yards headstart.
Cheers.
Geoff.

* Thousand!
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Geoffrey Gould wrote: then those 1 3/4" SU's would have fed enough go juice to worry your TD.
You aint driven my TD yet mate!!! Get to 2000RPM and boot the throttle, Full boost occurs at 2100, hence it kicks you in the a*se! Unfortunatley the turbo is melting the rack the bulk head, the driver and probably the engine but who cares, it goes like the wind!!!!
Cheers
Chris G

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

TD.

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

OK. OK you might just have the edge Chris but when I can find that Merlin!!! Seriously though some improved heat shielding would probably be a good idea.
I am sure you dont want to replace the rack again soon.
Cheers.
Geoff.
1991 BX 1-7 td Auto.

I MAY NOT BE ALWAYS RIGHT BUT I AM
NEVER WRONG.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Can't see that the rack will overheat. I don't believe that even a tweaked turbo exhaust will produce anything like the heat of a 16 valve on full chat and we know that they have no endemic problems with the rack pinions.

Also when the thing is running the LHM is constantly flowing through the pinion valve and this will cool it to some extent.

If you read this and other Citroen boards you will see that rack pinions don't give much trouble, pumps do wear out, FDV's seldom if ever go wrong, except for an occasional leak, regulators don't give much trouble but accumulator spheres do. Height corrector problems are generally confined to the linkage, when front struts blow off the return hoses they need overhaul or replacement which is to be welcomed as the ride improves immeasureably, and the doseur (brake valve) used to be blamed for all sorts of things including bad weather but again is a very reliable thing.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

jeremy wrote:the doseur (brake valve) used to be blamed for all sorts of things including bad weather but again is a very reliable thing.
Thats why it rained yesterday!!!! :lol: :lol:

I dont know whats wrong with the steering yet... other than it's pi**ing me off! I will, without fail rip the damn thing to pieces in the morning and attempt to cure the problem before thursdays MOT! :cry:
I have enough spare parts laying around (somewhere) to replace the whole car so if that dont sort it.... I've still got the gas axe!!!! BE AFRAID LITTLE RED/PINK CAR...... BE VERY AFRAID!
Cheers
Chris G

cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Re: Running out.

Post by cavmad »

Geoffrey Gould wrote:Hello Cavmad how you and yours doing, OK I hope. Capri no never owned one but managed to frighten myself in a Mk1 trying tooooo hard on a wet road. But I did own a Morris 1000 that did about 30 mpg if you didnt try to hard. 1300 lump. twin SU's (large) 3-9 diff. disc brakes, anti-roll bars etc. Son borrowed it to go to London and some friends in a "hot" hatch couldnt lose him, other son in BX couldnt catch me. Still got it sort of.(long story.)
That's the one I lent to someone and they ran out of juice on the motorway.
Best wishes.
Geoff.

Fine thanks Geoff, hope all is well with you and yours too. Love to see some pic`s of the Moggy, was it a Marina engine that was fitted? I had a series 2 for a few months and wanted to have a Fiat twin cam installed but it never happened. Still good fun to drive and I miss it, I`ll get another one one day but a Mk2 and a Mk3 Cortina are on my wish list first.
Oddly enough I was talking to a Moggie owner at the car show we are hoping to go to as a northern meet and the owner had customised it. Spent a fortune on it and it looked really good but he was apparantly quite often insulted by other Moggie owners who looked down their noses at him.
Bloody stupid in my humble opnion, it was his car, his money and his call and let`s face it Morris 1000`s aren`t exactly the rarest classic on the road, are they?
Vauxhall apologist.