clutch pedal height

BX Tech talk
timbo
Confirmed BX'er

clutch pedal height

Post by timbo »

I saw a bit about the clutch pedal height and it's adjustment elsewhere on this forum. I noted that the pedal height (not clutch adjustment) was located under the bonnet (two bolts). I cannot seem to locate these bolts. Are they tucked up underneath and is access to them from under the car?
My clutch pedal is about 2 inches higher than the brake and I am sick of ripping my foot open with every gear change :x
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

Timbo the pedal height is in fact determined by the clutch cable adjustment ie 15mm open spanner for adjustment and 13mm (I think) for the locknut. Trace the clutch cable to the front end where it is attached to a lever on a pivot type thingy. This is all a bit obscured by air intake pipes and water pipes, but is accessable from above. You should see a funny little pushrod thing, the adjustment 'nut' is in line with this.

Bet I've really got you confused now

By the way are you still after Blaupunkt cc20 instructions, I got a booklet for a cc22 which seems very similar..... I could scan if you like? :?
Last edited by ed4ferrets on Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

If its the early clutch fork then its 15mm and 13mm. If its the later type or a TD or 16V then its a 13mm (adjustment) and 10mm (locknut)
Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

Earlier clutch cable connection & adjustment :
http://www.citroen-pr.net/catalogues/il ... 120140.gif
This is the clutch kit with with the "steel" release bearing.

Later types :
http://www.citroen-pr.net/catalogues/il ... 12014B.gif
Clutch kits with the "plastic" type release bearing.

I have deliberately not set a change date for type change - as it seems that supplier catalogues are messed up on this issue. Go by the cable connection method on the bellhousing - then choose "steel" or "plastic" release bearing kits accordingly - if you ever need a clutch kit.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
timbo
Confirmed BX'er

Post by timbo »

fantastic guys ... will have a go at adjusting the pedal height 2morrow. It was lucky that I had a good poke around in the car (under soundproofing/insulation) and found the old radio manual hehehehe ... so now I have music :D
The poor old thing is hanging in there by a thread still... I got the steering joint replaced along with the fuel lines for 100 quid. So now it runs without too many problems. I've lubricated the front struts and they appear to be working a lot better (how much lube should I give them?). The rear bearings are in dire need of change as I have 4 wheel steering and the typical leaning of the wheels... the suspension needs work.... the accumulator needs replacing as it does not rise if i sit in the back with the engine off... of course the timing belt should be done but I really don't know if i will keep the car ...
timbo
Confirmed BX'er

Post by timbo »

oh .. another quick question ... will adjusting the cable affect the cluth at all?? stupid question but the clutch is engaging towards the top of the pedal so I think it's nearly at the end of it's life. I would rather put up with ripping my feet than causing further problems with adjusting it...
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

If the bite point is close to the pedal rest point - then there is high mileage still left on that clutch :D
The factory setting of a correct pedal rest position is 140mm above any carpet/mat level.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
timbo
Confirmed BX'er

Post by timbo »

I have problems getting my foot in a comfortable position without having the toes on the pedal!!!! If i depress the pedal the first 2 inches of travel is the difference between engaged and not. There is probably (guessing) another 4 inches of travel to the floor. With the adjustment under the bonnet, do I just tighten the bolts until i have the required pedal height??
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

I'd say you loosen the bolts to get the pedal down - but yes thats correct :wink: