Other Things to Consider??

BX Tech talk
Adam
BXpert

Other Things to Consider??

Post by Adam »

While i'm sorting the TZD and getting a general idea of prices, i've come across a few questions bearing in mind its done 163k and although the service book has 12 stamps in it, i'm not really sure what's been done.

1. Should I change the power steering filter?
2. Should I flush the intercooler?
3. As i'm going to flush the hudraulics are there any parts I should replace while it's drained? (front spheres look newish and perform well, i'm changing both the rear and accumulator)
4. I'm thinking of overhauling the FDV as per the artical in the forum, is this wise?

Thanks for all the help chaps!!! :D
Previously Owned
1988 19DTR
1991 17TZD
1987 19GTI (Dads)
1992 17DTR (Mums)
Currently
1991 19TGD
1991 TZD Turbo (Breaking)
"Graculus" 1990 TGD Turbo (Restoring)
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

I never knew BX's had power steering filters! (my TD has no power stering at the mo!! Maybe thats why!!)
If the turbo works ok I'd leave the intercooler alone. They are very reliable anyway.
If the steering works and the FDV doesn't leak....Leave it till it does, again they are reliable.
Never hurts to change spheres as long as they actually need changing.
My TD has 414000miles on it and apart from the current lack of steering the hydraulics have always been 100% reliable.
Good luck with the car and enjoy!!
Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

Adam -

When you mention power steering filter - what exactly do you mean then ?

There ARE in fact special filters for the power steering - but you dont go replace them just like that :shock:
These filters are located inside the pipe ports on the FDV (Flow Distribution Valve). This is the squarish device with 5 rigid pipes connected - and fitted to the g/b flange. 2 of the pipes connects to the PR (Pressure Regulator).
Its not excatly easy to remove this device - and dismantle it for renewal of these 2 micro cup filters. Lots more on the subject here :
http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2865

I have a feeling you mean the filters in the LHM reservoir. These you dont replace. But careful clean in petrol or engine cleaner.
These are the only regular filters in the hydraulic system.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
Adam
BXpert

Post by Adam »

When I was searching for prices, I came across a power steering filter, just thought i'd mention it cos i'd never heard of it being done. I want to get all jobs done at the same time so just after some advice. I've printed off the LHM cleaning and other DIY sections from this site, coupled with a Haynes manual there shouldn't be any problems. Many Thanks and sorry if I confused anyone, it's my limited knowledge coming through.
Previously Owned
1988 19DTR
1991 17TZD
1987 19GTI (Dads)
1992 17DTR (Mums)
Currently
1991 19TGD
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Have sent you an email Adam.
Over and out from me
Adam
BXpert

Post by Adam »

Thanks Ian, much appreciated. :D
Previously Owned
1988 19DTR
1991 17TZD
1987 19GTI (Dads)
1992 17DTR (Mums)
Currently
1991 19TGD
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Intercooler external hosedown (off-car, preferably) and internal de-oil are well worth it if the performance of a TD seems to have lost its pep. Only problem is finding solvent for internal degrease that evaporates enough to prevent horrendous backfires on startup after reassembly.

Degreased mine a year ago, stood intercooler in bright sunlight for a couple of afternoons, left for a couple of weeks, and still had a couple of backfires.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

Would it help if you also applied copious amounts of compressed air to aid evaporation?

Mark.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

...and
3. As i'm going to flush the hudraulics are there any parts I should replace while it's drained? (front spheres look newish and perform well, i'm changing both the rear and accumulator)
Tighten the pump belt and fill LHM to a decent level first before trying anything. It can make a surprising difference to hydraulic function.

in general, if it's fixed (working), don't break it. Citraerobics, bounce tests (try to avoid dents caused by pushing down on wings) and checkout of height correctors by sitting/leaning on front/back will give assessment of condition.

BX DIY site has useful hydraulic and return pipe check, whioch should give indication of health for hydraulic components. Check Front strut return pips for deterioration though, as leaky struts voiding through a perished set of pipes can make a nasty mess that doesn't do the front braking any good.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.