Are there drivebelts with direction of travel?

BX Tech talk
pitman
BXpert

Are there drivebelts with direction of travel?

Post by pitman »

I fiited a new drivelbelt from GSF to the alternator.

Now, a few days later, I saw that there are some arrows printed on the drivelbelt, unfortunately in the opposite of the direction of travel.
:shock:

It's a 4 PK 698, well, that one is saying 4 KR 698.

Is there a direction of travel to obey or do the arrows have another meaning?
BX Leader 19 Diesel - 1986
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

I'm pretty sure that these are "direction of travel" arrows.

Probably worth fitting a new belt, for peace of mind.

O
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

These arrows points into the drive direction - if you are fitting the belt by the printed on index markings.

NOTHING ELSE !

Definately no need to take off / replace the belt :shock:

The belt runs equally happy both directions for its service life. Its NOT "polarised" in any way - though I recommand the toothed part of the belt is running on the cogs 8)

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=18956
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
timbo
Confirmed BX'er

Post by timbo »

thats interesting.. I worked for 20 years in a mine and we had belts of all shapes/sizes/types. We had numerous failures over the years for many different reasons, but one that stood out was the running of a belt in the wrong direction of travel. I must also mention that there are many belts where it doesn't matter what direction they travel, but with the majority of belts that we used (flat, V, lugged, notched, multi grooved, linked, seemless, armoured etc), it was better to run in the recomended direction of travel for better life of the belt. Just thought I'd throw that one in there :D
pitman
BXpert

Post by pitman »

Well, as timbo said, there are things to reason about as also did my colleagues here at work.

But to get away from the constantly growing confusion, I finally called the hotline of that company, that's ZF Trading for the Lemförder brand.

They said that the little arrows are only for the people in production and those arrows have absolutely nothing to do with the direction of travel.

What a relief after all that guessing ... :D

Many thanks now to Anders who stated this firmly already and his link suggested this, too, that if a cambelt doesn't have a direction of travel, a simple drivebelt wouldn't have either.

But in Anders's link someone also called finally a hotline. So this was also a good hint.

I called the hotline of ZF Trading in Germany and this is a super hotline, no waiting at all. Only the guy there had to reinsure himself but at the end I wanted a precise and definite response.

Thanks to all of you to get this problem out of the world. :lol: :lol: :lol:
BX Leader 19 Diesel - 1986