16v Exhaust / Exhausting more like!

BX Tech talk
pinfold
Confirmed BX'er

16v Exhaust / Exhausting more like!

Post by pinfold »

Only bought my 16v 8 weeks ago and have allready had a split hose, coolant warning lights / stop light coming on, Oil sender failing, and no dash light bulbs, and now the latest trick up its sleeve is for a new middle section exuast. :cry:

It looks like it has failed where it joins into the box on the middle section (manifold side).

Any advice on what to do boys and girls! Is it worth a weld or should i just try and procure a new middle section. iF so any hot tips on where to get one, was going to try GSF parts but never used them before.

Matt
BX GTI 16V 1991
XANTIA SDX 1996 ESTATE
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I don't think new sections are very expensive from GSF or Euro Car Parts.
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

I don't know whether one can compare TZD and 16v exhausts, but when I needed a new section it was cheap and easy to fit.

One point - get the car up as high as you can, and MAKE SURE THAT IT IS STABLE! When you start pushing and pulling to get the little rubber grommets over the hooks, the car will be rocking back and forth. You will be almost entirely underneath it - you don't want it to fall on you.

(With apologise for stating the obvious)
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Welcome to the worlf of 16v ownership!
Cornishbx16v
BXpert

Post by Cornishbx16v »

check where the split is!
if its on the very first box on the down pipe then its either a replacement pipe or a bodge fix! the intermediate pope (from the end of the downpipe - roughly level with the b pillar!!- to the cross box is cheap as chips from gsf/ecp!!!)

When my resonater pipe went i cut it off and got some 54mm exhaust pipe fom my local factors and cut it to the length of pipe i cut off and have joined it with some flexi pipe! (ideally get it welded but havent bothered wih mine yet!!! ) works out at about £20 to fix and you get a load of spare pipe! (eisier if the down pipe isd off the car! just measure the length of the pipe pre cut to make sure you get it the right length!!)

the tzd/gti pipe is smaller diameter to the gti one iirc!
Timmo.

After all I AM CORNISH!!!!

www.bx16v.com
www.bx16v.co.uk/forum
www.bx16valve.co.uk
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Given your location Pinfold, go to Chester Exhaust Supplies (CES) on the grey hound retail park, they're always cheaper than anywhere i go for normal parts and they supply just about every motor factor in the norht west and north wales! If they dont have it in they can usually get it to you within a couple of hours!

Sections are only around £20 for each piece so you'll be better with a new box than a bodge! And by buy a 10mm flexible ratchet spanner, my god those things are good!
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Pedant alert: It`s NOT The Greyhound Park mate, it`s Bumpers Lane which is opposite The Greyhound.
Simply head toward the greatest football gorund in the world (Chester City FC) and you`ll see CES on the right.
Vauxhall apologist.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

i knew it wasn't the grey hound but couldn't think for the death of me what it was! In my defence you can see it from the grey hound (if you know where it is!) and its the Sealand Road Industrial estate :D

http://www.cesuk.com/

Knutsford Way
Sealand Road Industrial Estate
Chester
CH1 4NS

Tel: 01244 372 555

Fax: 01244 371 248
pinfold
Confirmed BX'er

Post by pinfold »

Thanks for that chaps

FYI the quotes today are as follows:-

Citroen uk. £205
Euro parts. £112.18
CES. £150.

Me thinks this is a lot of pennies for not a lot of exhaust (oh its the front section if i hadn't mentioned).

At this rate its worth ago with the welder!

Matt
BX GTI 16V 1991
XANTIA SDX 1996 ESTATE
Cornishbx16v
BXpert

Post by Cornishbx16v »

when you say front section are you refering to the downpipe????? (at the price your quoting i am thinking it is!!!) the resonater which is the first box ont he downpipe on non cat models is do awayable with without detremental effect to the running of the car!! i have done mine, i know luke has removed his and gary cole's racer has not got one either!

vanny whilst i agree that a new box is better than a bodge, when you can fix it for effectively £20 instead of £120 its got to be worth while! and if you get the section of pipe welded to the downpipe then its a pretty good fix hey! infact if your a capable welder than its cheaper still as you'll only need the length of pipe to replace it whihc is about £12 from any motor factors!!
Timmo.

www.bx16v.com
www.bx16v.co.uk/forum
www.bx16valve.co.uk
pinfold
Confirmed BX'er

Post by pinfold »

Thanks for that cornish

once again it seems like you have come to my the rescue!

will it pass an mot like that?

Matt
BX GTI 16V 1991
XANTIA SDX 1996 ESTATE
Cornishbx16v
BXpert

Post by Cornishbx16v »

yes mate! mine has gone through the mot with the flexi on it!! although the flexi is only got about an inch if that where its not sleeved on both sides!! just clamp it up tight and bobs your uncle! if you can weld then get your self a length of pipe for it and whip the down pipe of as it makes it alot easier to cut it off the car! iirc its 45 cm from the resonater to the end of the down pipe where it joins the intermediate pipe and the resonater is 35cm long it self, the pipe comes in a 2m length i think?? and you need 54mm pipe, then all you need to do is measure the length of pipe you have cut off and then match up the length of the replacement pipe and zip it on! what i did with mine was paint it in some high temp paint too to give it a bit of extra protection!
i couldnt get mine onf the car at the time hence why it has the flexi pipe on it at the mo! :D
Timmo.

www.bx16v.com
www.bx16v.co.uk/forum
www.bx16valve.co.uk
pinfold
Confirmed BX'er

Post by pinfold »

The 54mm did the trick

have cut the down pipe back (struggled getting the down pipe off so cut it under car that was fun! ) about 4 inches back from where the resonatet used to be fitted and slid a peice of 54 mm pipe into it! what a fit. My freindly farmer has now welded it in for me so pretty rigid now

siliconed the other end of pipe into the existing middle section and clamped it up.

Jobs a good un

good shout :)
BX GTI 16V 1991
XANTIA SDX 1996 ESTATE
Cornishbx16v
BXpert

Post by Cornishbx16v »

nice one mate!
glad it worked okay!
Timmo.

www.bx16v.com