haynes manual

BX Tech talk
dunx.wantok
Confirmed BX'er

haynes manual

Post by dunx.wantok »

I am trying to find a haynes manual or equivalent that will cover my BX 19 TGD (1991 Estate). I can find petrol Haynes manuals, which I guess would cover the body, suspension etc. Can anyone suggest one that covers the engine? Thanks.
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

You will need this one as well as the other :wink:

(Manual number 1379)

Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle
dunx.wantok
Confirmed BX'er

Post by dunx.wantok »

excellent! Many thanks. I shall get HAynes hunting.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Also available in gery - earlier edition with supplement for TD and things. Check that your car is covered if you find one of them. In some ways its better.

You may find them in Charity shops
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Ah Haynes, the book of myths, legends and other well known fairy tales!

Before starting your journey, disconnect the battery...... :shock:

Changing a road wheel?........disconnect the battery..... :x

Topping up screen wash?......disconnect battery, remove windscreen! :D

Save the money on the haynes manuals and but beer instead! The guys on here know everything about BX's (unlike haynes who are so bad they've gone into producing sex manuals, karma sutra haynes style: thinking of using a vibrator....... disconnect the battery) :mrgreen:

So if you get stuck post on here and you will be overrun with helpful advice from people who know what they're talking about....... and I'll just take the p**s!
Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
meep
Confirmed BX'er

Post by meep »

Hehehe that was a favourite joke among my car spannering mates years ago... :)

Yes, everything in Haynes does seem to start with the old favourite 'Disconnect the battery' :D

They are still useful for reference, and make a good companion to this excellent forum.

Found both of my manuals very reasonably on eBay, after I'd bought the TZD there as well :)
dunx.wantok
Confirmed BX'er

Post by dunx.wantok »

I thought the Hayne's classic was 're-assembly is simply the opposite of diss-assembly'.
Simply?
Okay, tomorrow I am flushing and re-filling the radiator system. the tech talk on here says I should bleed it thru the correct bleed valves. Where are these?
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

dunx.wantok wrote:I thought the Hayne's classic was 're-assembly is simply the opposite of diss-assembly'.
Simply?
Okay, tomorrow I am flushing and re-filling the radiator system. the tech talk on here says I should bleed it thru the correct bleed valves. Where are these?
Depends what BX you have! All the engines have different bleeds.
Cheers
Chris G

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
dunx.wantok
Confirmed BX'er

Post by dunx.wantok »

1991 BX19 TGD Estate, (NOT turbo)
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Ok, thats easy then! Theres a bleed on the nearside of the radiator at the top, and if it has the old style thermostat housing there will be a allen bolt just above where the top hose attaches to it. If you have the later thermostat housing, with the fuek filter on top of it (black plastic housing) then there will be a plastic thumbscrew in one of the small pipes from the stat housing. Ideally you need to pressurise the system to get all the air out but if you dont have access to to a pump then find a funnel or bottle thats a tight fit in the filler hole and fill it to the top to give yourself a head of water. Also ensure the heater is set to hot. Bleed the rad first, run engine till the fans come in and go off. Feel the rad and hoses and make sure they're hot. That should be about it!
Cheers
Chris G