19 NA Bosch pump on 17NA Engine

BX Tech talk
Adam
BXpert

Post by Adam »

I served my time at Lucas CAV's in Gillingham and spent alot of time in pump rectification. The throttle spindle ovulates the hole in the govenor housing and causes all kinds of problems, only cure is to change the govenor cover which means the pump has to be re-tested and calibrated. Sometime the pump housing become pourus and can cause the symptems you mention. The runaway that's been metioned i've heard about, the pump drive seal braking up apparently is one cause. I can possibly still get my hands on Lucas spares and info if needed by anyone. :D
Previously Owned
1988 19DTR
1991 17TZD
1987 19GTI (Dads)
1992 17DTR (Mums)
Currently
1991 19TGD
1991 TZD Turbo (Breaking)
"Graculus" 1990 TGD Turbo (Restoring)
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Thanks Geoff,

Copied and located in my BOL...

Whats does section 11 say, regarding shim marked "a" ?...
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Shim

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

OK Brian the shim is a 1mm thick shim which can be anything, feeler gauges, piece of tin whatever. It's for the anti stall adjustment. Get the engine hot and at tickover ,put the shim in place and wind the setscrew up to increase the tickover by 50 RPM, well that is what it is supposed to be, not having a rev counter, I just very slowly wind it up untill I can just detect an increase in revs. Lock the setscrew off with the nut (10mm) and remove the shim.Job jobbed. It seems to work OK. Doesnt seem to be That critical.
Cheers.
Geoff.
1991 BX 1-7 td Auto.

I MAY NOT BE ALWAYS RIGHT BUT I AM
NEVER WRONG.
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Well, here is the pump dismantled.

The most difficult task was removing the two recessed pivot bolts, the ones with a three sided head. Tried all sorts of devices, but in the end I welded 13mm nuts onto the heads, that did the trick.

I can't see anything wrong with the internals or seals, so cleaned up, then started to reassemble, I got to the stage where I can get the timing 180Deg out, so will have to get my thinking cap on before I progress..

(Should have taken record pictures) ...

Or take french lessons to read the text on the above article...

Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

??

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

WOW!!! So many pieces and so many chances of ------------------. we wont go there. So Brian how is the motor running, just being curious really. I have been told that "lift pump" wear on high mileage pumps can be a factor but know from experiance that wear on the throttle spindle/housing can really upset matters.
Unfortunently the low sulpher fuels used now a days wont be of any help at all as the lubrication qualities of the fuels are much reduced. I try to remember to put a dose of Millers diesel additive in, its helps with lubrication.
Cheers.
Geoff.
1991 BX 1-7 td Auto.

I MAY NOT BE ALWAYS RIGHT BUT I AM
NEVER WRONG.
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Hi Geoff.

Yes, the car in now easier to drive, as the low rev respose is smooth, not eratic as with the original pump.

Cosidering the engine has covered over 218,00 miles on the original pump, I don't thing one could complain..