Starter motor fitings????

BX Tech talk
Cornishbx16v
BXpert

Starter motor fitings????

Post by Cornishbx16v »

hey guys!!
issues with my startermotor at the mo and on chatting to a mate down here who has a xant td starter on his m.i. (tuned!!!) it got me to thinking what others will fit??
any of you know how interchangable they are an d what starters will fit what engines???
many thanks in advance!
Timmo 8)
Timmo.

After all I AM CORNISH!!!!

www.bx16v.com
www.bx16v.co.uk/forum
www.bx16valve.co.uk
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

As far as I know, Petrol and Diesel starters are NOT interchangeable.
Grumpy starters should be stripped and cleaned because there is a good chance that you will effect a long term cure for £0.00.
Cornishbx16v
BXpert

Post by Cornishbx16v »

interesting!!! i know he had a xantia td starter on his m.i. engine (same as that in the bx16v except his is tuned to just shy of 225bhp!) and has had no issues with it! afaik as long as the bolt holes are the same and the teeth are the same number etc shouldnt be an issue???
Timmo.

www.bx16v.com
www.bx16v.co.uk/forum
www.bx16valve.co.uk
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I think the difference here is that many of the diesel starters are Mitsubisi reduction geared types whereas the petrol ones are probably old fashioned direct drive types.

The function of the reduction gear is to allow the motor to rotate faster and gives a better start on diesels. I think its considered unnecessary for petrols and as the geared motors are more expensive and probably heavier the simpler motors are fitted.

If you've got one - try it - but otherwise why not use the real thing.
Cornishbx16v
BXpert

Post by Cornishbx16v »

thanks jeramy, reasons for using a xant one are purley for availability!! the local place has plenty of xant starters but none for the 16v bx!! £30+vat for normal used or £45+vat for recon one!
cars been playing up for so long its just nice to get it sorted properly again loL!
Timmo.

www.bx16v.com
www.bx16v.co.uk/forum
www.bx16valve.co.uk
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

You may be able to cross reference numbers from a manufacturer. Quinton Hazell are putting their catalogues on line in downloadable PDF form but they don't do starters - or haven't got the catalogue done yet.

Probably the people who will really know are reconditioners (like QH) who will try and carry as few lines as possible.

Of course you then get to the cannibalisation stage - motor won't fit but solenoid will fit my motor etc!
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

Since the starter motor is fitted to the g/b flange - then all Citroen/Peugeot models with the same g/b type (BE1/BE3) will have the same type starter motor.

There is a HUUUUUUUge selection of starter motors over the years because of :

1) manufacturer (Bosch, Ducellier, Lucas, Mitsubishi etc. etc)
2) Manufacturers keep modifying the units for any reason, mainly cost
3) 1.6-2.0L engines uses the same basic starter type, no matter 8V or 16V heads. All these engines have about the same compression ratio to crank against and will need approx 0.9Bhp crank power starters.
4) diesels needs at least 1.1Bhp crank power starters against the higher compression ratio
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
Cornishbx16v
BXpert

Post by Cornishbx16v »

thanks anders!

going to take my old knackered one down the yard and get them to match it up!!
Timmo.

www.bx16v.com
www.bx16v.co.uk/forum
www.bx16valve.co.uk
Cornishbx16v
BXpert

Post by Cornishbx16v »

Sorted this yesterday! zx td starter inplace now and fires up lovely!! turns out the xantia starter has 11 teeth and the 16v has only 10!
spent an hour and half removing the inlet and fiddling to get the b#gger out and the refit it all but alls good! fires up lovely!!!
so alls sorted and i am happy until the next thing! loL!
Timmo.

www.bx16v.com
www.bx16v.co.uk/forum
www.bx16valve.co.uk
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

Shoulda just broken one tooth off!!ImageImage

Alan S ~ale~
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.