creaks and judders

BX Tech talk
image1990

creaks and judders

Post by image1990 »

Hello again everyone,

Just thought I'd consult the oracle again after you all successfully diagnosed Maud's hydraulic niggles last time round.

Firstly, I've noticed a creaking noise from the rear right-hand side particularly going round corners. Having had a worn out left-hand rear suspension bearing replaced a few months ago, I assumed the right one was now on the way out. However, the creaking has now stopped - any suggestions as to what could have been causing the noise and whether it's something potentially expensive/serious?

Secondly, I sometimes get a pretty noticeable judder when I switch the engine off, which I'm sure can't be right.

Thanks a lot - I've learnt a great deal about BX innards in a very short time thanks to this site :)
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Is this a petrol or diesel BX - important for the judder - could be running on if petrol.
image1990

Post by image1990 »

Sorry, forgot to mention it's a 1.6 petrol. Would you mind explaining what running on is? Like I said, I'm learning a lot very quickly.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Running on is when the engine carries on running when the igniton has been switched off. Its seldom smooth and is often accompanied by heavy knocking noises.

Can be caused by all sorts - like wrong plugs, dirty combustion chambers, running hot, BMC A & B series, high idling speed, leaky vent pipes . . .

My Renault 21 was terrible for this - and would run on for about 1/2 minute when hot. I could never get the timing right so that I could get out and kick the wheel at the moment it was going to stop.
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

Dear Image1990,

I also have a 1.6 petrol. Apart from what jeremy suggests, you also need to check the idle-cutoff solenoid on the carburettor. Basically, you should find an electrical wire leading to a cylindrical object screwed to the carb I think underneath the brass thing on the right with the two fuel hoses attached to it. When you switch the ignition off, a plunger should shoot out from the tip of the solenoid which obstructs the fuel supply to the carb, and thus kills the engine. It is also called the "Anti run-on valve". If it doesn't function properly, you will get the judder you describe.

There are two tests: either listen for a click when the ignition is turned on, or remove the wire from the spade connector and touch it to the connector with the ignition on - again you should hear a firm click. If not, it's faulty and needs replacing, or try cleaning the electrical contact and cleaning the plunger end of the solenoid with carb cleaner.

Good luck!

Mark.