Rust Proofing

BX Tech talk
OwenS
BXpert

Rust Proofing

Post by OwenS »

How easy is rust proofing a car, from the viewpoint of a complete novice,,,,, hehe. I've seen this underseal 'paint' in halfords which is supposed to never dry so won't chip etc also contains waxoyl. What would I have to do to underseal car, have underside steam cleaned?, would things have to be removed, e.g exhaust, fuel tank or worked around? How could I rust proof the rest of said vehicle? :)
2007 Sportka
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I`ve not done it before but the old fashioned way was to attack everything with a wire brush and/or scraper first and try and get to bare metal, followed by a decent rust preventing paint or spray such as red oxide treatment before the Waxoyl. Can`t imagine this being too nice a job, but maybe you can get some sort of blasting company to do this though of course you`d need to make sure they didn`t wreck the fuel, brake and hydraulic lines?
The application of the Waxoyl is fairly simple I think, I believe you can spray it on using a compressor at low pressure or an aerosol type can but you could always brush it on so you know you`ve got a good spread.
Vauxhall apologist.
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Waxoyl sprayer, gallon tin. Wheels off, binbags over hubs. Door cards off, seats and carpets out. all blastic or rubber blanking plugs into box sections out. Wheelarch liners out. Fill your boots. Drench the lot. Reassemble car.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

And you are still quite likely to miss the bits that will rust, but its good fun and Waxoyl makes nearly as good hair conditioner as LHM :D
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
M

Post by M »

Mate of mine is restoring this:
and says that the blokes at the local Morris club swear by Sunflower Oil.