rear screen wiper

BX Tech talk
poormansgs

rear screen wiper

Post by poormansgs »

it seems that the switch operates a relay and a "time module" located I suspect under the glovebox on LHD cars. My washer works, and if I physically move the wiper, it does one revolution. The problem is that it does not work for more than one cycle. I suspect the "timer module". Can anyone confirm its location for me please. I have a LHD old 1.4 petrol BX
thanks
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Never taken one to bits but I bet the motor has a 'parking' cut out - just like the front one. These are generally operated by a contact which is sruck by some part of the mechanism.

Move the wiper arm, makes the contact make contact - and it runs until the contact is needed again.

BX rear wipers are a little strange in that on the hatch it doesn't latch on. The estate one wipes intermittently whenever its switched on but the hatch one will only operate as the switch is pressed. This is because the aerodynamics ensure a clear rear screen.
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

There is no timer module fitted for the rear wiper on the economy model BX14. Thats why the rear wiper push button gives a single shot only. If you hold the button in the wiper will continue to run.

If you are good on automotive electrics and can read & understand the electric schematic on your BX (from Haynes) - then its very simple to copy the front wiper incorporated timer module circuit to the rear.
Note that you then will need a different wiper pushbutton switch which is a push-to-toggle switch - instead of the fitted push-to-operate switch.

If you are a wizzard - you can find a GTI on the breakers yard and salvage the complete wiper stalk switch. This will have the rear wiper switch build in as well.
The old push button switch can then be replaced with a switch for the front fogs if you like.

BTW : yes the rear wiper timer relay is located behind the glovebox on LHDs. Remove the plastic retainers and lift up the glovebox - then its right there (not on BX14 !)
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

AndersDK wrote:If you are a wizzard - you can find a GTI on the breakers yard and salvage the complete wiper stalk switch. This will have the rear wiper switch build in as well.
The old push button switch can then be replaced with a switch for the front fogs if you like.
:?: My GTi is a '92 model year & I don't have the rear wiper operated by the stalk. :shock:
Maybe this is only on LHD Models :?:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Interesting - I thought they were similar on saloon and estate - with the switch on the bottom of the right hand dashboard horn. I know of the differences between saloon and estate and thought the switch looked the same but the estate one latched or something. I didn't realise that any had the rear wiper switch on the stalk. (No knowledge of 14's)

ZX has rear wiper on the stalk - turn to put on, turn further against a spring to wash. Only problem is the stalk goes the other way to a BX - which is fun when you go from one to the other! ZX hatch one stays on when stalk is twisted.
shavedchimp

rear wiper not working

Post by shavedchimp »

BTW : yes the rear wiper timer relay is located behind the glovebox on LHDs. Remove the plastic retainers and lift up the glovebox - then its right there (not on BX14 !)
I've just fitted a replacement rear wiper motor on 1.7TD hatch Mk II and it don't work. I have it on good assurance that it did work recently. There is power getting to the wires that feed it and the right fuse is in place.

Could it then be the timer relay mentioned above? Would a faulty timer stop completely the operation of a wiper?

Any comments welcome

Shavedchimp :?:
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Theres no timer on the motor, when you push the button it should work, sounds like the motors duff.

I have a new one in a box if that helps.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I assume this must be for LHD cars only then as I've never seen a BX where the rear wiper is controlled by the stalk for the front one?
Vauxhall apologist.
prm
BXpert

Post by prm »

If you can trigger the wiper by moving the blade it is most probably the park electrical contact on the motor main drive gear.
If you remove the complete unit, take the rear cover off the reduction box, and inside you should find brass contacts resting on the circular contact plate. If you clean and lubricate the plate and fingers - these you can gently bend to if worn.
It maybe one of the contacts is faulty by not sending a signal back for a reset, - switch, or timer.
Repack the gearbox and main shaft.
Before you refit, connect-up the unit and test.

I believe most mk 2’s, hatches have no timer and the dash switch is non-latching.
Estates have a timer and latching switch.
The wiring on each type of set-up is different and the multi plugs at the rear of the
switches are not interchangeable.

Not sure about the about the later mk2 models, 92 onwards?? and MK 1’s, 14’s ??how they operate.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

In general terms a simple windscreen wiper will have 3 connections. A switched feed (maybe push,latched or via timer relay), a continuous live (fused) feed, and a ground connection (possibly via its body if mounted on steel, separate connection definitely if mounted on non-conductive surface)
The park contact on the wiper only "breaks" in the park position but the feed remains live so all that tells you if it works by moving the wiper is that there is slop in the mechanism and the motor operates on that feed.
If 12v arrives at the motor when the switched feed is operated then that means that this feed is not connecting to the other side of the "park feed" inside the motor. If the switched 12v does not arrive at the motor it will not operate unless forced in the way described.
There are more complicated versions like on the saab hatch where 5 or so wires go to the motor and there is a circuit board inside with components and relays (timer & speed) within the motor housing but presumably the bx is of the simpler type above.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
poormansgs

Post by poormansgs »

I took my motor apart and see that the worm drive has stripped - so the offer of a new motor is attractive. How much do you want for it ?
Regards
Geoff
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

How does a tenner grab you plus whatever postage is? Its a new genuine part (valeo) in its box. It cost me alot more than that but Its sat gathering dust.