Eric Brough
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: BX 16TXi
C5 Mk1 Facelift 2.0 HDi estate
C6 2.2 HDi Lignage
Fiat 500 Lounge

Front brake disc - seized on

Post by Eric Brough »

I've been trying to change the front discs today with limited success. Having removed road wheel, two screws securing disc, and brake pads, I find that the disc itself wont shift.

It seems to be very firmly corroded onto the end of the driveshaft. I've tried stiking it quite hard from behind with rubber hammers, stiking it on its edge all round with a metal hammer, prizing with a wood block and crowbar - but Ive now given up for the evening having tried to introduce some WD40.

Anyone come across a sticky disc? And any advice on how to proceed?

Thanks, Eric
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

As you say, WD4O round the centre and bolt holes, tap from behind all way round and then the big hammer
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Nope. There is an easy way. Pop the pads back in, and with all wheels chocked, other front wheel on the ground and the difficult disk in the air, car supported on axle stand at back of subframe, give it 2,000 RPM in third. Now stand on the anchors. Works every time. You have lots of horespower at your disposal all going in exactly the direction you want. Did 'em both on DLM's TZD last weekend in fifteen seconds. Do them one at a time(or you won't get one off).
Cornishbx16v
BXpert

Post by Cornishbx16v »

incase your not brave enough to try tom' s method, tap/hit the centre around the nub nut area with a good hammer a fair few times until you see the rusty bits coming away then a few taps from behind and the disc should pop off! just remember when putting them on to put a thin layer of copper slip on the hub face! prevents it happeneing again!
Timmo.

After all I AM CORNISH!!!!

www.bx16v.com
www.bx16v.co.uk/forum
www.bx16valve.co.uk
Eric Brough
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: BX 16TXi
C5 Mk1 Facelift 2.0 HDi estate
C6 2.2 HDi Lignage
Fiat 500 Lounge

Post by Eric Brough »

Thank you for the tip, Tom - your method works very well indeed. Recommended and not at all scary.

Seems to me that its something worth doing every time you are inspecting the the brake pads - just remove the two disc securing screws and check the disc is not seized.

Out of interest, why did you specify 3rd gear and 2000rpm? I tried that and found I stalled the engine quite a bit (BX16 TXi). In the end I use 1st gear though I suspect that may put a bit more strain on some of the transmission.

E.
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

I have a Diesel, and used the torque at about 35,40 MPH to get a good crack at it without putting anything under too much strain, Your torque curve would be different I suppose, but it worked, so that's nice to hear.