Tuning

BX Tech talk
OwenS
BXpert

Tuning

Post by OwenS »

Im thinking of getting my BX krypton tuned or similar....has anyone done anyhting like this??
2007 Sportka
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

If it has electronic ignition and has been serviced properly theres not much to gain though krypton tuners do contain some good diagnostic tools if the thing is running badly, replace plugs, filters etc before getting it done though.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I don`t want to put you off but every single vehicle I`ve had that`s been Crypton tuned has ended up worse than before they started. They also always (in my experience) tell you something`s knackered and therefore won`t warranty their work.
The prime example of this was an old Bedford CF camper I bought about 3 years ago. Got some welding and bits done, took it for the test got emissions checked and came back as `fine`. Didn`t tick over especially well so got it Crypton tuned the day before a bloody long journey for holiday.Bloke says engine, dizzy and God knows what else are `completely knackered` and he `wouldn`t go next door in it`. Bollocks I thought, I`m in the RAC so I`m going for it. Stalled once then ran like a dream for about a 300 mile each way trip-no problems at all. I have absoultely no faith what-so-ever in Crypton tuning. Like Stewart says there`s not much to gain and if you replace plugs/filters/oil etc yourself you`ll probably find it`ll be a load better.
Vauxhall apologist.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

I too agree with cavmad, years ago I sent my Austin Maxi for Crypton tuning, when I went to collect it they told me there was an imbalance in the compression so they couldn't tune it properly.
The car ran like sh1t.
I took it for my uncle to look at and he said how much have they charged you for this? £36quid I said. (quite a bit in those days)
To which he replied" I can make it run better than that for nowt" and he did. :)
They think it's all over, it is now!
OwenS
BXpert

Post by OwenS »

ken newbold wrote: my Austin Maxi
Bit off topic I know, but which rides better hyrolastic/hydragas or hydropneumatic?
2007 Sportka
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

OwenS wrote:
ken newbold wrote: my Austin Maxi
Bit off topic I know, but which rides better hyrolastic/hydragas or hydropneumatic?
Bit off ??
- you completely changed the subject mate :roll:
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

very,very similar in my experience. when I ran out of maxi's I moved on to Citroens. A newly charged hyrolastic system rode very much like a BX but the Citroen just has it especially the petrol ones.
They think it's all over, it is now!
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

I started my motoring career in an Austin 1300 with the usual terminal chassis rot. Though it rode very well I'd rank it as less good than any BX, except perhaps the sportier BX variants, where we're into a "horses for courses" scenario.

As for tuning, Owen, I'd look to the secondhand Peugeot/Citroen parts bin for improvement: your post about fuel-injection may be a better way of looking at it, unless the early AX GT (before the "i") had a pair of carbs, or a better carb setup than the standard. Tuning add-ons are one of the best ways I know of to part with lots of money for relatively little return. Also, remember your insurerers and what their views will be on a modified car. I'm not anti-performance, just a bit skeptical about the benefits of a lot of go-faster add-ons sold. The go-faster normally referers to your money in these cases, rather than your car.
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Crypton tuning is diagnostic testing. With a skilled operator, it is wonderful at sorting out whether your misfire is due to fuel or sparks. The usual simian is not bright enough to use it properly. A fifty year old with an old tuning rig and a labcoat will know what to do. Anyone else probably won't.
If you want to go faster, though,
David talks sense. Why the fXXk tune the 1400 when there are 1600 cars around that nobody wants?
If that isn't quick enough, there are 1900 GTIs that cost next to nothing; certainly less than the rise in insurance premium for a modded 1.4. Count in the extra group on the insurance and you'll still be quids in. Only a twit would do it!
A well run in Tizzydee is good for 120 and doesn't need tuning. It also does 50 MPG!
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d

Post by DLM »

If mileage per gallon is no object, there's a nice bright red GTi on ebay (OK - not tax or ticket) starting at fifty. Remember, the engine is that from a Peugeot Gti 1.9 towing an only marginally heavier body around.

There aren't enough of these around that are being loved, but on the other hand, your insurance company may not like it.

If you could find a TZi (even a TZI estate - great fin and a heck of a lot of load room), this again has the same engine as the 205 GTi, but I was surprised to find it had the same insurance rating as a 19TGD, though that may have had something to do with the obligatory alarm/immobiliser (a bit of a nightmare in practice, especially as it was armed from the plip, which gave up when one of the receiver pins rusted away and left the alarm "armed", with no way of starting the engine or disabling the alarm).

What's more. it will have a temp and oil pressure gauge to allay most paranoiaic fears.
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

tuning

Post by Barnsley BXer »

It's the same as everything,there are krypton tuners and there are krypton tuners.A few years ago my dad had a 1900 gti.It went well to start with,but when a well renowned local tuner had had his hands on it,it was wickedly fast,much faster than the 92 gti hurricane I used to have.Like BXcrazed,I also started my motoring career with an Austin 1300 but the Vanden Plas version.What a beautiful car that was before it succomed to the dreaded tin worm
M

Re: tuning

Post by M »

Barnsley BXer wrote:I also started my motoring career with an Austin 1300 but the Vanden Plas version.What a beautiful car that was before it succomed to the dreaded tin worm
Must be an age thing - that was my first car to, Austin 1300 Mk2, four door in gleaming white (and shagged rusty rear subframe). VTC 263H.

I believe Gordon Burns does Krypton tuning..... :twisted:
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I can see the value of a good crypton tune but have yet to find someone decent-I know the timing etc can be set spot on (in theory at least) but that just reminds me of the bad experiences I`ve had. I forgot that everyone had also told me they `wouldn`t warranty the work because the distributor needed attention` on a variety of cars that I`ve owned-it`s just a cop out as far as I`m concerned and I can`t see me using another crypton tuning `expert` ever again.
Funny how so many of us have owned similar cars: I`ve had a couple of Maxi`s in the past and my dad had about 3 or 4 as company cars. He also had an Austin 3 litre which I think had the `C` series engine as fitted to the MGC`s and I`m sure had hydrolastic suspension too. We went on holiday to Cornwall one year when someone ran up the back of us in an AD0 16at a roundabout-turned out to be the father of my brother`s school mate! Wrote his car off and barely marked our 3 litre.
I`ve never owned but always wanted an AD0 16, one day when I have some spare cash I intened to get a good one.
Vauxhall apologist.
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

GTI fuel economy

Post by Mike E (uk) »

Fuel injection is the way to go, even if speed is not your top priority.
A BX GTI is not a very thirsty car.

Carbs are simply not accurate enough at metering fuel.

It is a pity that the only BXs with fuel injection were the 1900cc variants, a 1.4i Motronic would have been a great all rounder, but in those days the 'i' only went on the up-market versions. A 100hp 1.4i would have sold very well I think.

I think there a was a 1.6i, but that had a cat, and the latest 1.9i GTI BX had a Zantia cat engine IIRC and I have driven one of those on an L plate. It felt feeble compared with the earlier version, and used more fuel too.

The 1.9i engine with the 5th gear set fom a 16V car would give superb motorway economy. I know someone who has this set up, and he rates it highly.

I have a turbo D 5th gear cog set in my 16V BX and have measured 42mpg, and I was not pottering along.

Mike
DLM
Our Trim Guru

Post by DLM »

.....but a BX GTi or TZi does seem enormously thirsty when compared to a diesel or turbodiesel BX, and considerably trickier to keep IN tune. I've been there, albeit only for a short time. It was fun, though....