Strut problem?

BX Tech talk
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Strut problem?

Post by ed4ferrets »

Wiser heads than mine needed please :roll: . Went over a speed bump with o/s only and it seemed the suspension banged straight through without any damping effect :shock:. This was at slow speed which BX's don't normally even react to, so I'm really puzzled. Pushing down on both sides gets the normal bounce so there's no difference when stationary :?
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Swap the spheres from one side to the other. It could be that the sphere's damping valve has gone u/s.
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Or if it was a one off and the car generally rides and handles well, then it could simply have bottomed out the strut, which is a painfull experience for those of us with mechanical sympathy. Ive done this on my car before, so if I dont brake in time for a massive bump I always panic.
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

Cheers Tom, will try that ......... quite an eye opener it was, like driving my old Renault, rattle rattle bang bang :?

Definitely not a one off unfortunately Adamski and 'bottomed out' is a perfect description of the feeling :shock:
RobC
BXpert
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX 16v

Post by RobC »

mine often bottoms out... i think the front suspension's riding a little low. horrible when it happens, especially when you're going fast!
1991 Citroen BX 16v
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

Mine never bottoms at the front, but it's quite easy to get it to bottom out at the rear, coming down off a regular speed bump at about 30-35 mph... whereas it's impossible on the GSA because the suspension feels far more inter-connected, if that makes sense.

An underdamped rear: I'm wondering whether I have the right spheres on there, or whether it's the damping valves.

Mark.