Wheel Bearing or Driveshaft?

BX Tech talk
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Me too. Seen so many tyres with eggs and mishaped, especially Michelin when they get old or worn.
They think it's all over, it is now!
roscoe
BXpert

Post by roscoe »

I swapped the tires already with no change and for most of the time it was off the road, it was up on block with the wheels off the ground (at least the front ones, so I would have expected that swapping the front to rear would have either no effect if it wasn't tires, or made it worse if it was flat spots....I'll have to see what shows up when it gets pulled apart....would be nice if it was tires though....much easier to fix!
cheers,
Roscoe
1991 TZD
2004 Peugeot 307
1990 Mitsubishi Express Van - Alpaca Transporter
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

Tried doing the rounds with the spare?

I had a similar experience with the CX; it managed to take out 4 Michelin tyres in as many weeks all shredding the tread off the casing.
I found that even when the thumping was happening, that it was impossible to tell which wheel it was coming from and I had both front and rears go and as close as I got to nailing it, was to identify the side it came from but not the front or rear until things started falling apart. This is why I wondered if using the spare on say one front, then the other, then one rear, then the other might narrow it down.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
roscoe
BXpert

Post by roscoe »

Hmmm. I might swap the tires and wheels over from the 16V if they'll fit under the rear skirts and try all four at once...or at least run the TZD wheels and tires on the 16V and see it it makes the same noise. Another job for later in the week....
cheers,
Roscoe
1991 TZD
2004 Peugeot 307
roscoe
BXpert

Post by roscoe »

Just an update on what I found that was causing the noise...the off side front wheel bearing was absolutely shot! Strangely enough, the thumping/noise appeared to be from the n/s/f one, but it was fine. The other one fell apart when the wheel came off - replaced it and the noise is no more!
Thanks for all the tips and help on this one, I was swapping tires and wheels till I was blue in the face but no joy! Intermediate drive shaft bearing also nice and tight, and no squealing or grinding from the wheel bearing either, just that weird thumping noise that I could actually feel through the floor when driving.
Took it for nice long drive Monday night - to the local NSW Citroen Car Club meeting and it ran like a charm at speeds up to 140 kmh :oops:
Now for the temp. gauge modification....when the new sensor makes it down here from France!!
cheers,
Roscoe
1991 TZD
2004 Peugeot 307