bodywork question

BX Tech talk
image1990

bodywork question

Post by image1990 »

Hello everyone,

Not sure if this is strictly a technical question, so apologies if I'm using the wrong bit of the forum.

Was just wondering if there's any way of repairing the piece of trim half covering the rear wheels, or replacing it without also having to replace the entire rear wing. Both mine are in a bit of a sorry state thanks to the efforts of the previous owner's learner-driver son, and as far as I can tell from a brief look, the plastic and the metal wing don't come apart. Not as urgent as getting the octopus replaced, but I have to keep telling people it wasn't me who did the damage!
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Are you talking 16 valve here? My estate has metal rear wings, with wrap-round rear bumbers.

In fact the metal wings are relatively easy to repair as they are a simple sheet of metal - and there is no inner arch as there is on most cars. I would have thought a competent body man could have beaten out most dents prior to filling and spraying.

I say competent as its a bit more difficult than it looks and if you're not careful the metal will be stretched by use of hammers and you will create more problems than you solve.

My reference to the 16 valve is that the body kit has plastic sections on the rear wings.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Most BX plastic bodywork trim is held on with double-sided tape or specially-shaped adhesive sections. Hot water will often get them started, but it can be a fiddly business. As Jeremy says, a little more info is required.

If it's the trims at the front of the rear wheelarch, these can be removed and replaced, providing you can find suitable donor parts, AND remove these without causing damage.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.