Eric Brough
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: BX 16TXi
C5 Mk1 Facelift 2.0 HDi estate
C6 2.2 HDi Lignage
Fiat 500 Lounge

Headlamp converters

Post by Eric Brough »

Just about to pop over to France. My headlamp converter pack (Lucas adhesive-black-sheet) does not show a pattern for the BX. Has anyone got a diagram, or a photo of a stickered-up set of headlamps?

Thanks, Eric
<------------------>
BX 16TXi
C5 Mk1 Facelift 2.0 HDi estate
C6 2.2 HDi Lignage
Fiat 500 Lounge
<==========>
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

Correct me if I'm wrong -

But doesnt the lens itself clearly have a triangular section showing exactly where to blank it off ?
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

After reading the relative instructions, i gave up and used some nouse. I took my bender, and had the girlfriend sit in the car pulling the full beam on, then held the bender up on to the glass and moved it round. There is a very clear point where the light shining through and onto the back of the bender is at its brightest, and thats where i stuck it!

Though i've found most people jsut dont bother with them and dont have any trouble!

Two bonus mark pointers; there should be sufficient hi vis jackets for every person in the car, and a number of european countries require TWO hazard warning triangles to be carried!
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

[quote="Vanny"] I took my bender, and the girlfriend

:shock: Sounds like a quote from a `Carry On` film :lol:
Vauxhall apologist.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

From what I remember the rhd BX does have a section on the glass in the shape of a 4-sided wedge, possibly with a kick toward the end of the wedge. This is where the blanking goes. Most people don't seem to bother nowadays, for better or worse, and it must be said that the BX's lights are fairly gentle compared to more recent cars, though a Gendarme looking to pull you might disagree.

It's a horses for courses question: if you travel to France often enough, it may be worth buying a pair of lhd-aligned headlamps and fitting them before each trip. I can't see it being too cheap though, unless you find an obliging rural garage or scrappie in France
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Vanny wrote:and had the girlfriend sit in the car pulling the full beam on, then held the bender up on to the glass and moved it round.
Beam benders are only supposed to alter the DIPPED beam! They should have minimal effect on main beam.

In the past, on other cars I've found using a piece of aluminium foil with the shiny side facing the headlamp to work rather well, in that you can reflect the light back into the headlamp, and it sortof comes out pointing the other way (ish)
this might be a signature
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Vanny wrote: I took my bender, and had the girlfriend sit in the car pulling the full beam on, then held the bender up on to the glass and moved it round. There is a very clear point where the light shining through and onto the back of the bender is at its brightest, and thats where i stuck it!

I read this and thought it should be in martys toad pond! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

When I went to france I copied a guy in the que for the ferry next to me with a BX break. He had them in the bottom left corner of each lsmp, so thats what I did. Didn't do any night driving do couldn't tell if it had the desired effect. Since I'll be doing lots of foreign trips in the next couple of years I'm gona get a set of LHD lights and keep them in the boot, probly takes less time to change the whole light than it does to bu**er about with those sticky things!

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

I have some LHD bx headlamps....you interested????
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

I drive about 10000 miles in France every year in a BX. I have never fitted beam deflectors. I dont think they are necessary. I dont believe there is a legal requirement either.

What I do do though is to remove the headlight bulbs and break off the middle locating key. This enables you to swivel the bulb holder up and down with the bulb refitted to alter the the dipped beam pattern up and down at the extreme end of the beam...........it works, but reallly makes little difference on the road. Give it a try.

I do have some LHD headlights too but have never bothered to fit them.
The BXs headlights are not exactly dazzling to other motorists after all.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

BX Bandit wrote:I have some LHD bx headlamps....you interested????
PM sent mate

Cheers
Chris G

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

PM Sent back....
1990 BX TGD White
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Er, aint got it mate!!

Cheers
Chris G

BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Ooops :shock: Not sure what happened..have sent pm + email

tada
1990 BX TGD White
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Got it this time! will ring you in a moment! Cheers dude

Chris G

BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Do you want these then mate, if not I'll tell my buddy not to bring them down as he is tight for space. let me know, cheers
1990 BX TGD White