BX TZD Temp Gauge

BX Tech talk
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

the way i remove the snap ring is put 2 little bolts on the holes of the snap ring make sure they are a tight fit then use a pipe wrench on the bolts works a treat, I also broke my snap ring pliers on it too
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

The thermostat opening temperature should be 82.
I run two TDs with GTi type temperature gauges fitted. They both read LESS than 75deg on the gauge. Change the stat - or just remove it to see what temperatures you get.
Generally though a rad temperature that rises with speed points to a rad that is partially blocked or a stat not opening fully.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
roscoe
BXpert

Post by roscoe »

I'll pull the thermostat out this weekend and run it without and see what happens - but I think I'll also get the rad done just to be on the safe side. Everything else in the cooling system seems OK, new water pump, heater matrix not leaking, no visible leaks from any hoses, etc.
cheers,
Roscoe
1991 TZD
2004 Peugeot 307
1990 Mitsubishi Express Van - Alpaca Transporter
roscoe
BXpert

Post by roscoe »

Pulled the thermostat out, flushed the system (again) and refilled/bled it and took it out for another run. Temps indicated on gauge - normal flat highway at 120Kmh - 85-90C, down hill - 80C, uphill at constant 120kmh - creeps up to 95-100C, but drops quickly as soon as I either back off or road levels out/car quits working as hard. Came back home, swapped temp sensor for old one I had in it, and retried again - this time all temps were at least 5C lower, and the temp gauge was very slow to respond either up or down....so that tells me the new sensor is more responsive and I think accurate as well and also new thermostat I had in it was OK. I'm going to leave it like this for a few weeks and see how it goes, if the temp seems to get higher than 100C for short periods, my next step will be to pull and clean the rad...but I don't think it is causing any problems. Seems to get hot completely through from top to bottom, fans run properly on low and high speed, so looks like either this is the temp that engine is running at or the temp gauge/sensor combo is inherently a bit inaccurate. However, they have to be better than the warning lights I had in it before.
Also took the valve cover off and re-siliconed it to stop leaking - 3rd time lucky as it now seems to be dry! The only outstanding niggly bit left on that car is the fast ticking from the PR - have a separate thread on that one! :x
cheers,
Roscoe
1991 TZD
2004 Peugeot 307
1990 Mitsubishi Express Van - Alpaca Transporter
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

If you're unlucky, you might have hit a "sand-in-block" car. Around our J-registration in the UK (91/2) there were a few XUDs around on which the rads silted up quickly from "dirty" blocks. My old TGD did that: the symptom there was raised temp in all forms of operation, but especially under load and uphill. I can understand you not wanting to fork out for a new TD rad though - they're just a smidgeon expensive.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

FWIW - I had a blocked rad on the TZD when I bought it. We managed to clear the blockage with a dilute solution of hydrochloric acid, which we poured in and then flushed out rapidly, several times in succession. So far so good!

I should add that the rad was out of the car at the time!!
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"