Hydro funnies - temp fix, but need parts...

BX Tech talk
BackinaBX
BXpert

Hydro funnies - temp fix, but need parts...

Post by BackinaBX »

OK, haven't seen any of you for a while, because the Green Goddess has been wafting along just dandy... however, the other day, on returning to the car and driving off that the stop light was giving a little flicker... continue driving home, the light is on properly now, but only 300 yards from home, so I plug on... thankfully, nothing went so it was safe.
Under the bonnet, I find that the rubber T-piece connected to the breather on top of the LHM tank has split, sending hydro everywhere but back to the tank - am I right in thinking the pipes running into this are overflow return pipes? They're the small clear plastic ones.

I tape up the T with some self-amalgamating tape, refill the tank... all is good.

Yesterday, it happened again, but the T piece is holding out OK, but there's a big puddle of green stuff under the front nearside wheel...

Closer inspection shows the rubber pipe connecting to the power steering ram valve is perished and split.

I've got about 2 feet of cloth re-enforcing tape covered with self amalgamating tape on it, and it's OK for now, but where do I get a new one from... GSF don't have them... I guess as it's a low pressure pipe my temporary fix will last a while.

Another question - back to the LHM tank - there are two clear lines running from the filler cap. One goes down and under with all the other pipes, and another goes up the inside of the wing towards the off-side front sphere... and goes no-where. Should this be connected to something?

What a long post. Thanks for getting all the way down here chaps. Thoughts, as always are greatly appreciated.
"I'm not into art, I'm just a gun for hire" - Helmut Newton
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

You don't have to be in trouble to post on here :lol:

The steering return pipe runs directly back to the LHM tank so you'll need to replace it, possibly with a piece from a scrapper.

The clear plastic pipe in the tank lid is only breather, don't worry about it.

The T piece could also do with replacing. Sounds like the rubber returns on your car are all starting to perish, don't want to be the prophet of doom but this could be the start of some serious grief, unless you tackle the problems seriously.
BackinaBX
BXpert

Post by BackinaBX »

Behold, Prophet of Doom!

Yeah... I was starting to think that myself... one thing after another, sounds about right for a BX. However, I have a plan. The last owner had a spare octopus that he quite freely told me that he just sliced bits off as and when he needed them, so don't try and fit it, because it won't fit!

But...

Would a bit from that be usable to replace the perished rubber joint from the steering ram valve? :?: :?: :?:
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

It may well do, you'll need to check the diameter of the pipe concerned, I know the PAS return to be one of the larger ones on the car.
Baldbazza
BXpert

Post by Baldbazza »

I think that's probably the wonderful pipe I've just replaced with much muttering and much grief.

This sounds like the return pipe from the power steering valve with a branch off to the flow distributor valve. At the reservoir end it should have 2 connecting rubber pipes. One goes to the front height corrector, the other to the rear height corrector, or at least it joins a metal pipe to the rear.

First the good news, then the bad, then the worse. Then it gets really bad. But if I can do it (with Kitch's help :D ) then anyone can!

The good news is that the pipes are still available from Citroen - they were actually on the shelf at a local dealer. Part number is 95 603 421, but check this at the dealer!!!

The bad news is that it cost £53.77 + VAT.

The worse news is that it's a pig to fit. But do-able.

Chronicles of my attempts at diagnosing and fixing are here, where the offending pipe is coloured blue, and here.
1985 BX 19 GT
2007 Alfa Romeo GT
BackinaBX
BXpert

Post by BackinaBX »

How much? For 2 inches of rubber pipe! You're 'avin' and larf 'ain't ya? :shock:

You see... that one bit of hose is 1/5 of the total purchase price of the car... so I don't think so. I'm going to see what happens with my heath-robinson style patch and see if it holds... if any more go, then perhaps it's time to get the Saab back on the road... with petrol prices coming down justifying 25MPG seems OK again.

Well... we'll see, won't we... in repair tape we trust. :lol:
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Commonly known as the front or small octopus.

I did one of the White TXD estate that Cavmads selling just before he got it.

It cost about £30 from M&C Lockwood, but be sure to order the right one as I'm sure there's more than one.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

jonkw wrote:
Its not always the Octopus when they leak that badly.
No I agree, I've come across this quite a few times, more on the L reg ones than any other :? it's usually just the end of the rubber tube where it fits onto the metal pipe near the steering valve, however from past experiance when you try to cut it back and then refit it usually splits as the rubber is perished.
I've even joined another pipe in line but found this to be a poor temporary fix and doesn't last long.

A metal replacement, makes sense to me. :)