Puddle

BX Tech talk
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Puddle

Post by Kitch »

Big one! Behind the drivers seat in the 16v!

Any common causes? :(
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Water? - sunroof drains?
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

I thought that, but would it leak behind the seat? I've had the front ones cause a leak in the drivers footwell before, but never behind the seat.

jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Probably depends on the angle of the car - if the drainage channels are tilted back it will either flow down the back tubes or flood.

May not leak if the car is turned round!
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Hmmm, valid point. I might try parking it the other way around next time.

Its a big mess! :(

Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Just had another look, this is actually quite bad! I think its the O/S rear sunroof drain pipe at fault. Theres water coming in through above the rear door, down the B pillar, down the inside of the door and through the rear speaker :shock:

The puddles about an inch deep on top of the carpet, then if you press down on the wet carpet it moves about like a water bed and theres laods underneath :(

And my garage is inaccessable to put it in :roll:

DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Used to park a leaky one on a hill in particular orientations to avoid a blocked draintube, or manoeuvre it so as to send trapped water down the good tube. Rear tubes can leak all over the place - the rear footwell is perhaps less likely but try raising the rear seats - you may get a nasty surprise.... there's a water-collecting hollow here. You may be looking at a secondary puddle.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Just checked under the seat....think I've been lucky there as its bone dry.

If I park it facing the other way from now on, that'll help due to the camber of the road.

BackinaBX
BXpert

Post by BackinaBX »

I had exactly the same problem with my first BX... within a few days of owning it the foot well behind the drivers seat would fill up with water. Took it back to Citroen, they cleaned out the roof drains... bingo, no more water.

Better get that thin wire out and give those drains and good going over... that will fix it.
"I'm not into art, I'm just a gun for hire" - Helmut Newton
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I would agree with everyone else on this problem, blocked drain hole(s). When i was setting off for the Cholmondoley meet when the suspension was rising i heard trickling water.

Looked behind me & i saw water pouring out of the rear speaker (must have been a couple of litres) on the driver side, good job i dont use them as they were crap anyway. At the meet it was suggested that the drain holes must be blocked.

Took it to my local garage & they have air blasted them out, they did report seeing a fair bit of filth coming out & by all accounts the entire roof area is like a water tray, so when they are blocked it just fills up & can pour over the top, which sounds right as i had noticed that the headlining on the drivers side was damp on occasions.

Hopefully mines now sorted, someone on this post did suggest wire, i thought u shouldn't do this, as the wire could damage the plastic pipe, air is safer? I might be corrected on this point though..... Best getting it done before winter otherwise you will get ice on the inside of the car as i found out last year... Nice...
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Kitch wrote: Theres water coming in through above the rear door, down the B pillar, down the inside of the door and through the rear speaker :shock:

I'm confused :shock: How does it get down the 'B' pillar, and out of the rear speaker? Assuming that you haven't fitted speakers in the rear doors, then you mean the high height medium responce speakers in the 'C'pillar shroud, how does it get from 'B' pillar to 'C' pillar? And if its coming through from the 'C'pillar than how is it managing to miss under the back seat and the boot?

Previous experience for me has been that the tray fills and simply over flows into the 'B' pillar shoud and runs down that and out the bottom into the rear wells (well under the front seats that then runs backwards). Just a bit confused how it gets from 'C' to 'B'?

As an aside, pugs dont seem to have clear plastic tubes, but black rubber tubes and these dont seem to get mould in them or get blocked up! Anyone had experience of swimming pools in Pugs? (older *05 series pugs i mean!)
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Well when parked up, its not actually apparent where its coming from. Literally as soon as I moved the car, you came gushing out down behind the drivers seatbelt, out of the rear speaker and down the door shut along the wheel arch into the rear footwell.

Cornishbx16v
BXpert

Post by Cornishbx16v »

Could be that your drain pipe for that side is no longer attatched then if its that bad!!!!
defo pipes though of some description! i cleared mine out via airline from the end of the pipe at the rear light! the theory being if its blocked then its got blocked running down the pipe and its easier to blow the blockage back the way its come than force it the way its blocked!!!!
not had nay issues with mine since doing it in 2003!
Timmo.

After all I AM CORNISH!!!!

www.bx16v.com
www.bx16v.co.uk/forum
www.bx16valve.co.uk
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Cool, I might try that.

I went out this morning to check it out, having parked it facing the other way. Even though it rained last night, the puddle has decreased in size alot, so thats good news.

Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Vanny wrote:
As an aside, pugs dont seem to have clear plastic tubes, but black rubber tubes and these dont seem to get mould in them or get blocked up! Anyone had experience of swimming pools in Pugs? (older *05 series pugs i mean!)
I think mine are black - certainly the front ones. I'll check the back ones. Where is the top end of the back ones in relation to the sunroof aperture?

The only problem with leaks/water intrusion I have is, after washing the car, I seem water gets through the rear C pillar vents and into the boot. :?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v