the dreaded heavy steering

BX Tech talk
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Soory - been lazy, just checked on gsf and is available as kit or complete valve...kit worth a try you reckon?
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

You could try a kit but I think I'd just wham another pinion in. Er, there are special tools to do the job but with a bit of common sense and even less know-how you can do it without.

So what was the result of testing??

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

I've not been down after all mate...have come down with man flu and my breasts have swollen :cry: I did phone Charlie tho' and time seems to be short for him so it may be garage time :(
1990 BX TGD White
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Bummer, get well soon matey!

OOhh, swollen breasts!! Time for milk! :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Chris G

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

I think the just need a nice rub...any offers??? :shock: ----^
1990 BX TGD White
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Er, I have rough hands but if your into BDSM then I'm sure something could be arranged! :lol:

Cheers
Chris G

BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

:-k :-k Might be sore in the morning but what the hey...gowaan then :lol: :lol: 8)
1990 BX TGD White
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

:o :lol: :lol: :lol: 8) :shock:

I did warn you!!! :twisted:

Cheers
Chris G

tim leech

Post by tim leech »

:shock:
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

If you have 1cm of play in the belt as you say you do, you ought not to have. Unless it is properly tightened, the system doesn't have a chance.
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

... and it's a right bugger to do on mine - I'm guessing BX19 is same layout...

Undoing the bloody pivot and adjusting bolts from above with a heavy ratchet spanner using my left hand (I'm right-handed), then attempting to do up the adjusting bolt with the left while bearing down with all my strength with the right onto the sticking out bit of the jockey pulley with the assistance of a rubber mallet...

I find I can wedge the head of the mallet under the edge of the front panel to take some of the strain. But not a job I want to do very often :twisted:

Mark.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Don't you get nice screw tensioners on petrol ones?

On the TD you get a screw that fits onto a special top alternator bolt (in the slider) that runs forward to a right angle bend at the end of the slider. The adjuster is simply a long threaded bar running forward and to tension you simply slacken the alternator adjusting bolts and tighten the adjuster nut and tighten the alternator bolts again.

Mine was missing - so I made one - a long roofing bolt (6mm screw - about 4 inches long with a wide plat screw head - galvanised) and a short length of heavy flat steel bent into a right angle with 2 holes - one for the top alternator bolt and one for the roofing bolt. Fit the bolt with its head adjacent to the alternator bolt holt, fit a nut and tighten it to hold the bolt in position, thread the bolt through the hole in the front of the bracket then fit it under the top alternator bolt, then fit a nut and washer to the end of the bolt sticking out the front of the bracket - and tighten to tension the belt.

I tapped the hole in the bracket for the roofing bolt as well as using the lock nut but think this is unnecessary.
charlie
BXpert

Post by charlie »

just got back in from work and cant play with the car, too dark on street, till friday .:?

its like one of the whodunnit things but as puzzled as i am, and i do wish i had more time to delve myself but...

no mot on car for two weeks now and ive only got the one day off..:oops:

sooo will be booking car in garage :roll:

and while im at it will find bandit a nice fluffy welsh rescue sheep (hard liquor and soft baaas), to soothe his snot away

charlie
yes.....
the colour is....
guiness white..........
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

I found this Japanese site very helpful http://www.mars.dti.ne.jp/~ynar/bxorg_a ... /m27e.html

A 17mm combination spanner makes a tight fit when tapped on to the lug shown circled in blue and can then be used as a lever to apply the needed tension. I thread a rope through the ring of the spanner and pass it out through the front of the car and tie it to a roof batten to apply some serious leverage.

PS: As I come to think of it, the roof batten is a bit of an overkill; it was something I used before I read about the lug & spanner method. I can get sufficient leverage with the spanner and I just tie the rope to the front of the car to hold the tension until I have tightened the tensioner bolts.
Last edited by ellevie on Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
David

BX19TRS 118K E Reg 1992-2008
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

This site was/is one of the best-illustrated you'll find anywhere -to get to the root english-language section go to http://www.mars.dti.ne.jp/~ynar/bxorg_a ... dex-e.html
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.