Front Wishbone Bolts (BX)

BX Tech talk
jeremy
Over 2k

Front Wishbone Bolts (BX)

Post by jeremy »

How easy is it to get them out? My front bushes need replacing and I have the bits which I'm sure I can fit by fair means or foul. My question is am how difficult is it to get the big bolt attaching the things to the chassis out?

I have good tools but not the slide hammer shown in Haynes - and of course the things have been in there for years.
Cornishbx16v
BXpert

Post by Cornishbx16v »

when i did mine it was a case undo the inner nut and using a suitable bar lever it out and then it simply slid out!! worht dropping a bit of copper slip on it when you drop it abck in to make it easier if you need to do it again!
Timmo.

After all I AM CORNISH!!!!

www.bx16v.com
www.bx16v.co.uk/forum
www.bx16valve.co.uk
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Some wil come out easily, while others can be a pig to get out.

You may have to use spacers behind the nut in order to extract the bolt. If you get my drift. :?
They think it's all over, it is now!
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

I had one look at mine and walked away.

If that helps? :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Kitch - that has been my reaction so far - it has the look of a job that could take for ever - the thing seems about 18 inches long and - at 1/4 inch a time thats 72 movements and at 5 per hour . . . . which is why I haven't done it.

Real problem I suppose is will the right nut come off - then can I persuade it to come forward - and as Tim says - it will probably slide out. My luck is that I'll have to pull it out like Ken did - so I'd better make sure I've got some old water pipe or something handy as spacers.

Quoted £309 for a cambelt prior to MoT today! So you know what I'm doing over the weekend - fortunately someone has left the bottom cover off (round the bottom pulley) so I won't have to remove it or the pulley.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

If the back nut comes off, you could use it as a locknut onto the front one and keep turning untill it gives up and comes out.
Some come out so easily it's untrue.

£309 for a cambelt :o better tell my bro in law, his clutch link snapped today on his Xantia, Leeds morning rush hour traffic came to a standstill :lol: so fitted a new one this afternoon but it definatley needs a new clutch. Very unpleasant job while they're away on holiday, cant imagine how much your people would charge, 97 td Xant estate.
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Front wishbone bolts.

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Hi have tried to get mine out with a very large slide hammer, one I made for removing bus wheel hubs so not a toy, no luck, the local cit independent as a last resort smacks them backwards and then cuts them off bit by bit.
Cheers and good luck.
Geoff.
1991 BX 1-7 td Auto.

I MAY NOT BE ALWAYS RIGHT BUT I AM
NEVER WRONG.
citroen7
BXpert

Post by citroen7 »

the secret is to get the inner nut loose first if you give the inner nut a good soaking the day before but leave the outer one dry then fit spanner on inner nut and let it jam aganst the bodywork put socket on outer nut and siply crack it loose , once loose move it back and forth to loosen the bolt before continuing to undo.
if you have access to a press new bushes can be fitted in 5 minutes, failing that stick the new ones in the freezer overnight and cut the old ones out with a hack saw then push the new ones in using a vice
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

citroen7 wrote:the secret is to get the inner nut loose first if you give the inner nut a good soaking the day before but leave the outer one dry then fit spanner on inner nut and let it jam aganst the bodywork put socket on outer nut and siply crack it loose , once loose move it back and forth to loosen the bolt before continuing to undo.
if you have access to a press new bushes can be fitted in 5 minutes, failing that stick the new ones in the freezer overnight and cut the old ones out with a hack saw then push the new ones in using a vice
or threaded bar. :D
citroen7
BXpert

Post by citroen7 »

of course ken but that is the easy way, us ex servicemen have had it drummed into our heads always do things the most comlicated way!! :roll:
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

I have done about 6 of the things. Its a job worth doing if they are old or worn. The steering and stability is always improved and some of those vibrations that wheel balancing does not cure will disappear too.

They all came out pretty easily for me - using the front nut to extract and/or wind it out. You can even use the new bushes as spacers if needed.

With no weight on the wishbone the bolt can sometimes just turn round and round. If some weight is applied then the front nut can be used to extract the bolt initially.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

I'd say have a go no worries.

They are amazingly easy to deal with. Guess its because the bolt is still moving a bit together with the control arm's excursions.
As said by others : remove rear nut and the rest comes out pretty easy.

The real entertaining part is when you remove the old rubber bushings.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak