Heater control dial.

BX Tech talk
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Heater control dial.

Post by cavmad »

The heater control dial on the dashboard on my 1.9 diesel estate is playing up. It`s quite hard to move and clicks round rather than going smoothly. The dial to adjust the volume of air is fine though. I`m sure I`ve heard someone mention this problem before, can someone please advise me of the best way to repair this please? If it`s a new unit jobbie is it a full dash out job to get to the bit I need to replace?
Alternatively will WD40 or spray grease cure it?
As ever any help gratefully received.
Vauxhall apologist.
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

Crawl in under the dash or if you're too podgy to fit rip the front drivers seat out first and carefully try to move the lever it operates with your hand.
If that doesn't work, then I suggest you try draining the cooling system and having a look at this flap arrangement that has probably seized up internally.

If all else fails, I did a mod a few years ago using a mower throttle lever that gives the best and most direct heater control I've ever seen on a BX but unfortunately, someone has "misplaced" its location on a website. :roll:
If it gets to that, I'll dig it out and post it somewhere for you.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
bernie
Likes welding rusty Fiats.

Post by bernie »

Also I've found in the past if the 4 nuts/bolts are just slighty over tight it distords the housing causing stiff operation :oops:
Just the 0 BX
1 TZD Turbo a/c going going GONE
1 TD Hurricane being broken up for spares
3 FIAT 124 Sports!!!
1 FIAT 124 Spider ex. California
Oh and I nearly forgot
A LOVELY XANTIA HDI EXCLUSIVE ESTATE
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Thanks folks, I`ll try having a go over the weekend.
Vauxhall apologist.
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

Whatever you do, don't bust the pipes that go through the firewall as they are NLA.
I've had a few argue that they can be bought, until they try and then find that not only are they out of production, but even when you find any, second hand included, you may have to sell the family into slavery to pay for it.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.