Help with fuel filter please!

BX Tech talk
Frances

Help with fuel filter please!

Post by Frances »

Hello

Having real problems with our BX TZD, which sat idle over several months, and we have just got going again. The engine fires, but won't keep running, except at high revs.

We're trying to check the filter on the hand primer - seems to work OK, but there is a black nozzle-thing on the bottom which looks as if it should be connected to a pipe - but there's nothing there. Should it be connected to something?

Here's the picture:Image
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

That is a water drain tap, push a bit of pipe on to it, lead it into a can and undo the black bit and any water in the filter should drain out.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

but you dont have to have anything connected, its just to stop diesel leaking onto paint work etc
Frances

Post by Frances »

Many thanks to both of you for the helpful responses. One mystery solved!
roscoe
BXpert

Post by roscoe »

If it is firing but not running unless at high revs, its probably air in the fuel system. I had a similar problem on mine, the primer on the fuel filter didnt' work, so I bought a cheap primer bulb one from a marine supply place, plumbed it into the intake side of the filter and used it to prime the engine until the bulb was hard - open the bleed screw on the pump side of the filter until you get a nice solid fuel stream. Start the car and see if that works better, if not its likely the fuel preheater on the back of the block - mine was leaking air there as well, so then ran a new line from primer bulb directly to fuel line under car and it solved all the problems.
cheers,
Roscoe
1991 TZD
2004 Peugeot 307
1990 Mitsubishi Express Van - Alpaca Transporter
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Yeh, those dreaded fuel heaters, nothing but trouble, my advice. Bypass it. :)
They think it's all over, it is now!