Electrics

BX Tech talk
Captain Slow
Confirmed BX'er

Electrics

Post by Captain Slow »

1989 BX 19RD Estate.

Today whilst driving I noticed that my indicators were not working. When I clicked the indicator to its position all I got was a strange static noise. I then tried the hazards and they worked fine, but once off and trying the indicator again I got nothing.....

So I put the hazards on again, and moved the indicator....I then turned the hazards off, and the indicators worked fine after this, but for how long?

I also noticed that the one touch switch for the window is not working either, could this be related?

My opinion is that the relay has gone for the indicators....but wondered if any of you guys have had the same problem...or any ideas?
Citroen C4 VTS
Citroen BX Estate 19RD
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I think you will find the indicator switch is on the way out. Leakage current interferes with the flasher unit or something - there are full details on the Frenchcarforum site as ZX and Xantia suffer as well. What triggers it is dirt building up and its possible that some switch cleaner may help.

Windows as well - nice damp moist morning wasn't it!
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Could be that the hazard light switch is on its way out. The feed for the indicators is fed through this switch so that when the hazards are on it by-passes the feed to the indicators.

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

I agree doc mine did that i replaced the hazard switch which cured the problem. :D
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I had a nightmare with mine and changed everything going. Then the voice of reason (Vanny!) came down and within about 8 seconds he`d cracked it. It was the relay in the fuse box. Took one off a spares car and never had a problem again.
Vauxhall apologist.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I think the relay in the fuse box is in fact the flasher unit - and is probably identified by accessory shops by the layout of its pins.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

It was indeed the flasher unit on Billys car, and it was the high pitched whining that gave it away.

I have had multiple problems on many cars with the flashers, number one killer is the hazards switch but on all bar one occasion when the hazard switch fails you end up with no ornage lights from the indicator stalk or hazards button. As a rule of thumb if the hazards work its something else is amiss, obviously try the flasher relay first (normally its taller than the rest of the relays, and its often grey in colour), then unfortunately its time to try the indicator stalk!

As an aside, i've found only two dead indicator stalks they where simply clogged up with dust in much the same way the window swtiches die, has anyone else had time to take a faile done apart and find COD?
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

In fact Captain Slow, now I`ve re-read your post all the symptoms your car is showing are the exactly the same as mine did before `Super V` detected the problem.
It was annoying and dangerous trying to second guess the electrics at junctions: the fine art of flicking the hazards on, switching them off and putting the indicator on which got even worse as time progressed. I actually stopped using the car for a while it was so exasperating :lol:
Like I say though, mine did exactly the same as your`s and the flasher unit cured it immediately.
Vauxhall apologist.
Captain Slow
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Captain Slow »

Thanks guys. I shall have a little look.
Citroen C4 VTS
Citroen BX Estate 19RD
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

If you still have problems after checking or swapping out the switchgear, then do check that all the interconnects on the fusebox/connection-box in the front l/h footwell of the car are firmly in place.

If a further debug of things electrical brings no joy, I can offer another area that may be of relevance, particularly if the estate is a "working car", and carries loads frequently.

I had an indicator problem that took some time to resolve a while back, and turned out to be one of the last things I thought of checking. I Was lucky enough to have Tom's assistance in this, and as a "tron" he was able to give clear guidance on how to conduct a methodical wiring debug and trace.

The wiring to the rear lights (including the rear indicators) is by means of a black ribbon cable which runs along the floor from the previously mentioned fusebox/connection-box, under the carpets and boot floor and hence to the rear of the car. Where it passes under the rear seat hinge, and on to the boot floor, the ribbon can get pinched or crushed , and if damaged will earth via the boot floor, giving all kinds of unpredictable shorting nasties. I'd stupidly loaded the boot with some items that erm... promoted this kind of damage (my usual BX-in-a-BX sysndrome).

Worth bearing in mind if all else fails. An end-to-end continuity test and examination of the boot-floor and rear seat anchoring area should show up the problem. If this proves to be the case, substitution from a scrap car or loom is the easiest route. This sort of thing is why I do feel it worthwhile to strip out looms from a scrapper if you are doing a parts-strip on a BX at your leisure.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.