Turbo Diesel A/C Questions

BX Tech talk
roscoe
BXpert

Turbo Diesel A/C Questions

Post by roscoe »

I know some of you have added A/C to the TZDs and other diesels that didn't have it and I want to do the same, now that I've stripped my 16V parts car and have all the necessary bits (except sump with brackets which I've sourced elsewhere). What I need to know is if the condensor from the 16V will be big enough for the diesel, as it revs a lot lower especially around town? Also is the 16V compressor suitable or is the pulley size wrong? I'd prefer not to have to find another condensor, but can get new compressors fairly reasonably (AUD$350ish).
Any other tips/tricks appreciated...like how to mount the recirculating air boxes in the plenum chamber to the firewall that has no captive bolts on it.... :?
cheers,
Roscoe
1991 TZD
2004 Peugeot 307
1990 Mitsubishi Express Van - Alpaca Transporter
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Nuts.

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Hello I dont know anything about air con as such, alan s (Smith) on your side of the pond is the chap to ask, font of knowledge etc.
There is something known over here as a "Nutsert ( nutcert ?)" all it is is a threaded cylinder with a skirt with a small flange on the end. Hard to describe but its like a threaded pop rivet without the pin. A special pair of pliers ( like a pop riveter ) is used to spread the skirt after the " nut" has been inserted into a hole. The tighter the bolt/stud whichever you use is done up the harder the insert fastens. Comes in assorted sizes and threads. from about 2mm to 10mm. Fastens from one side. quite strong and capeable of destroying the panel before it will let go.
Please let me know if you have a problem finding any ,I will try and get more info as regards a contact number etc.
Cheers.
Geoff.
1991 BX 1-7 td Auto.

I MAY NOT BE ALWAYS RIGHT BUT I AM
NEVER WRONG.
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

First thing first, have you got an aircon shell? there will be two detachable panels on the bulkhead if you have. If you haven't then you will have to cut them out as well as the hole for the freon pipes and possibly the one in the floor for the drain as well. The 16V condenser works fine on a diesel, the system is a good one and works from just above idle.
bernie
Likes welding rusty Fiats.

Re: Turbo Diesel A/C Questions

Post by bernie »

roscoe wrote:I know some of you have added A/C to the TZDs and other diesels that didn't have it and I want to do the same, now that I've stripped my 16V parts car and have all the necessary bits (except sump with brackets which I've sourced elsewhere). What I need to know is if the condensor from the 16V will be big enough for the diesel, as it revs a lot lower especially around town? Also is the 16V compressor suitable or is the pulley size wrong? I'd prefer not to have to find another condensor, but can get new compressors fairly reasonably (AUD$350ish).
Any other tips/tricks appreciated...like how to mount the recirculating air boxes in the plenum chamber to the firewall that has no captive bolts on it.... :?
Hi Roscoe

Yes I have retrofitted A/c to a TZD Turbo hatch without the bolts or holes in the bulkhead unlike the estate versions.

Anyway to mark the holes for the inlets, I cut the bodywork off the donor car around the hole. Then placed it in the correct position using the shape of the TZD's bulkhead and marked with a marker pen.
To position the bolt holes, I placed the A/C inlet box over the cut hole and again marked with the pen. I drilled the holes and fitted 25-30 mm long 6mm bolts and nuts to fix the bolts to the car. Then fit the boxes and secure with 6mm nuts and washers.
Bit fiddly and hit and miss but it's do-able. :?
Don't forget the lower hole for the evaporator pipes and drain hole :shock:
PS I have got a brand new 16v condensor for sale
Just the 0 BX
1 TZD Turbo a/c going going GONE
1 TD Hurricane being broken up for spares
3 FIAT 124 Sports!!!
1 FIAT 124 Spider ex. California
Oh and I nearly forgot
A LOVELY XANTIA HDI EXCLUSIVE ESTATE
roscoe
BXpert

Post by roscoe »

Thanks Bernie and Tom
First off, I don't have the A/C shell anymore as I've taken it to the metal recyclers, so it's a cut and fit jobbie for me. Secondly, I've already scrapped the donor shell, so can't use it for the templates so it's going to be measure (carefully) and cut effort. The bulkhead holes aren't too bad as there is room to measure and cut them - the one for the pipes may be a bit more problematic :?
Bernie, my condensor should be OK so hopefully won't need yours - but I'll keep it in mind just in case...
cheers,
Roscoe
1991 TZD
2004 Peugeot 307
bernie

Post by bernie »

The hole for the pipes, Roscoe, should be marked on the bulkhead plus the underlay will have a cut out already on it.
:shock: :shock:

I'll pack the condensor up then as your bound to need it :wink:
Just the 0 BX
3 FIAT 124 Sports!!!
Oh and I nearly forgot
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

If you want any pics posting up Roscoe, give me a shout as I now own the car Bernie is refering to.
roscoe
BXpert

Post by roscoe »

Thanks Dave. Since tomorrow is supposed to be 37C here and we're officially still only in spring, I think this is one job I am going to have to do fairly smartly. Don't really fancy another summer of commuting in a mobile sauna :roll: :roll:
Any problems in getting the condensor to fit in front of the rad/behind the fans or is it a straight bolt-in job? I know I have to cut a hole in the inner nearside guard in front of the air filter for the receiver/dryer as well, but that should be fairly straightforward (hang on, we're talking about a Citroen here - I'll reserve a weekend for that little job :) )
cheers,
Roscoe
1991 TZD
2004 Peugeot 307
bernie

Post by bernie »

roscoe wrote:Thanks Dave. Since tomorrow is supposed to be 37C here and we're officially still only in spring, I think this is one job I am going to have to do fairly smartly. Don't really fancy another summer of commuting in a mobile sauna :roll: :roll:
Any problems in getting the condensor to fit in front of the rad/behind the fans or is it a straight bolt-in job? I know I have to cut a hole in the inner nearside guard in front of the air filter for the receiver/dryer as well, but that should be fairly straightforward (hang on, we're talking about a Citroen here - I'll reserve a weekend for that little job :) )
There are no bolts for the condensor, just rubber spigots top and bottom.

There is, also, the hole already behind the headlamp for the drier/receiver.

Keep cool man :wink: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Just the 0 BX
3 FIAT 124 Sports!!!
Oh and I nearly forgot
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

I'll post some pics of the dryer and condensor tomorrow
roscoe
BXpert

Post by roscoe »

I did some checking over the car today and found two rectangular indentations in the firewall scuttle area which I think are where the cutouts for the blowers will go so that looks easy enough. Also saw the indentation/cutout outline on the firewall insulation for the pipes, so that's another one down - also the hole in the frame for the receiver/dryer is there as well. Big question now is the condensor - I measured the 16V one I have and it's 51.5cm wide by 28.0cm high, whereas the one from an 8V is 60.0cm wide by 42cm high - which is almost the same measurement as the rad in the TZD. Since the TZD already has the dual fan setup, would the condenser fit in front of the rad between it and the fans, or behind it on the engine side - and if on that side, there is no mounting bracket on the bottom for the lugs to slot into? I would have thought it should go in front of the rad for efficiency - so which one should I use - can get the 8V one if needed. Also am getting the alloy sump off an 8V that had A/C so it has the lugs for the compressor - I assume the sumps are a straight swap.
cheers,
Roscoe
1991 TZD
2004 Peugeot 307
Captain Slow
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Captain Slow »

You stripped a 16v? :(
Citroen C4 VTS
Citroen BX Estate 19RD
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

Photos............

Rubber mounting point for the condensor looking through the I/C inlet. It sits ahead of the main radiator.
Image.

Dryer. Sits behind the headlamp in a hole which all BX's have

Top view of the condensor pipes

A view of the pipework entering the firewall

I added an extra pair of pulleys to the original set up to eliminate belt flap. This one is fixed to the altenator bolt and is from an XM TD.

This one is home made from a timing belt tensioner but you can use one from a Xantia which has the benefit of having a tensioner built in.
bernie

Post by bernie »

Ah :) :) :) :) memories :) :) :) :) :)

Note that the condensor top mount is not standard.
That's the best I could do because I did not have the proper top plastic mounting :roll:
Just the 0 BX
3 FIAT 124 Sports!!!
Oh and I nearly forgot