Turbo Diesel A/C Questions

BX Tech talk
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

All this is inspiring me to fit the air-con unit I've got into the TD, just in time for winter!! Maybe I'll do the head first and think about air-con next year :roll:

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
bernie
Likes welding rusty Fiats.

Post by bernie »

roscoe wrote:I did some checking over the car today and found two rectangular indentations in the firewall scuttle area which I think are where the cutouts for the blowers will go so that looks easy enough. Also saw the indentation/cutout outline on the firewall insulation for the pipes, so that's another one down - also the hole in the frame for the receiver/dryer is there as well. Big question now is the condensor - I measured the 16V one I have and it's 51.5cm wide by 28.0cm high, whereas the one from an 8V is 60.0cm wide by 42cm high - which is almost the same measurement as the rad in the TZD. Since the TZD already has the dual fan setup, would the condenser fit in front of the rad between it and the fans, or behind it on the engine side - and if on that side, there is no mounting bracket on the bottom for the lugs to slot into? I would have thought it should go in front of the rad for efficiency - so which one should I use - can get the 8V one if needed. Also am getting the alloy sump off an 8V that had A/C so it has the lugs for the compressor - I assume the sumps are a straight swap.

The 16v condensor fits between the water radiator and the front body frame as normal but it is held in a retangular plastic frame which sits on 2 special double rubber mounts.
The mount with the condensor then accept the dual 16v fans which are mouded together unlike the tzd 2 single fans.

Yes the sump is a straight swop but be aware that 16v engines have a 12 mm spacer that must be fitted with the sump.
If you use a 16v sump then part of the spacer must be removed to clear the oil pump
Just the 0 BX
1 TZD Turbo a/c going going GONE
1 TD Hurricane being broken up for spares
3 FIAT 124 Sports!!!
1 FIAT 124 Spider ex. California
Oh and I nearly forgot
A LOVELY XANTIA HDI EXCLUSIVE ESTATE
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

bernie wrote:Ah :) :) :) :) memories :) :) :) :) :)

Note that the condensor top mount is not standard.
That's the best I could do because I did not have the proper top plastic mounting :roll:
LOL! Well, it seems to work fine, I've put over 10000 miles on the old girl since January (now up to 156000) and it still works! A re-gas at the middle of July worked wonders and I had a problem with the compressor as the bearing got very noisy in the pulley. I managed to score a second hand comp off an XM and swapped the bits over. Frost on the windscreen 8) 8)
bernie

Post by bernie »

Mr B wrote:
bernie wrote:Ah :) :) :) :) memories :) :) :) :) :)

Note that the condensor top mount is not standard.
That's the best I could do because I did not have the proper top plastic mounting :roll:
LOL! Well, it seems to work fine, I've put over 10000 miles on the old girl since January (now up to 156000) and it still works! A re-gas at the middle of July worked wonders and I had a problem with the compressor as the bearing got very noisy in the pulley. I managed to score a second hand comp off an XM and swapped the bits over. Frost on the windscreen 8) 8)
Brilliant Dave :D

PS Still looking for the cover :oops:
Just the 0 BX
3 FIAT 124 Sports!!!
Oh and I nearly forgot
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

Don't worry about it, I've made one out of an Ikea :roll: butty box and duct tape, works a treat :wink:
roscoe
BXpert

Post by roscoe »

Dave and Bernie - thanks for the pictures - helps a lot!. The pulley tensioners was something I was wondering about as without them, the belt wouldn't have a lot of contact on the A/C or alternator pulleys and might slip (and flap) - looks like you came up with a good system. I have the fans and condenser from the 16V plus all the mounting bits, so will go ahead and use them - will be easier I guess than trying to work with the existing TZD fans.
Captain Slow - I had a 16V I bought from a local garage that had a noisy bottom end - due to a hole in the sump and the owner kept driving it :roll: Anyway, I figured I'd do up the engine, clean the car up(was in good shape but needed a real good cleaning and front bumper repainting, but not much else. Parked it at a relative's place nearby as my garage is full - and then before last Christmas a nice hailstorm came through and dumped golf-ball sized stones on that neighborhood. Car looked like someone had taken a hammer to it, smashed windscreen and back hatch, plus roof and top of front guards - so that was the end of that plan. I then proceeded to dismantle it to the bare shell, and sold off the engine to Alan S, tranny to a Pug owner :oops: , and used a lot of the other parts on my TZD (vented front discs, wheels, front struts, driveshafts, etc. Am still selling off bits and pieces but that's the story. At the time I bought that car, I also had a running 16V which I've since sold - two drivers and 4 vehicles was not viable!
cheers,
Roscoe
1991 TZD
2004 Peugeot 307
1990 Mitsubishi Express Van - Alpaca Transporter
bernie

Post by bernie »

roscoe wrote:Dave and Bernie - thanks for the pictures - helps a lot!. The pulley tensioners was something I was wondering about as without them, the belt wouldn't have a lot of contact on the A/C or alternator pulleys and might slip (and flap) - looks like you came up with a good system. I have the fans and condenser from the 16V plus all the mounting bits, so will go ahead and use them - will be easier I guess than trying to work with the existing TZD fans.
If you have all the bits from the 16v you'll be ok. :D
For some reason it's very different to the TZD set up. :?
Just the 0 BX
3 FIAT 124 Sports!!!
Oh and I nearly forgot