ENGINE MOUNT

BX Tech talk
tim leech

ENGINE MOUNT

Post by tim leech »

How hard a job is it to change the big round rubber engine mount at the bottom, I know there cheap enough to buy, but is it something I can do in ten minutes with a socket set or am I best to let the guys at work do it?
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

They can be a bugger especially getting the old one out is hard and involves haksaws and bruised hands put the new rubber in the freezer over night makes it easier to get back in.
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I did mine not knowing if the technique would work - have done many worse jobs - takes sometime to hacksaw through the outer ring. You should also do the small bush at the back of the yolk.

Freezing is important - as you need all the help you can get to fit the new bush - worth making sure its got a small bevel on the leading edge (the one I used had a slight chamfer as a result of some part of the manufacturing process) and be prepared with tools ready before you remove it from the freezer - so you can get straight on with the job. I also greased it - and it went in quite well.

If I could get someone else to do it - well yes I'd miss the fun and let them!
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Is it just thr ubber buit you change then?
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

yes
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Rubber bit is like a large suspension bush - outer steel ring, rubber and a centre steel tube - all lovingly bonded together. Small one at the back of the yolk is the same - but smaller.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

OK thanks
citroen7
BXpert

Post by citroen7 »

Tim just check first that the bolt is not loose i thought mine was worn and went to main cit dealer in belfast to order new one and according to the computer they had never ordered one before! it was indeed a loose bolt which was undone when doing the clutch , that will teach me to rush things!!
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Mines shot matey you can see it move in the housing when you start it up, ive ordered a new one from citroen which will be here Tuesday, ive ordered the nut and bold aswell to be sure. £10+ VAT and a hourd labour at £30 so for £45 im happy not to get dirty!
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

I just bought the mount with a new housing complete.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Kitch wrote:I just bought the mount with a new housing complete.
Wheres the fun in that? No grazed knuckles or excuse to practice french swearing........ on second thoughts.... :lol:

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Hi Folks,

Well, depending on how damaged the existing mount is, I was getting oscillations on low speed acceleration.

Inspected the lower bush, not too bad, a little slopy, so made up two curved metal plates that would fit into the two gaps in the rubber, secured them with silicon sealant, and bingo --- problem cured..

Worth a try !!!...

If any one is interested can take and post a photo ...