ENGINE MOUNT

BX Tech talk
tim leech

ENGINE MOUNT

Post by tim leech » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:09 pm

How hard a job is it to change the big round rubber engine mount at the bottom, I know there cheap enough to buy, but is it something I can do in ten minutes with a socket set or am I best to let the guys at work do it?

User avatar
sleepy0905
1K Away
1K Away
Posts: 1394
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:23 am
Location: Birchwood, Lincoln

Post by sleepy0905 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:12 pm

They can be a bugger especially getting the old one out is hard and involves haksaws and bruised hands put the new rubber in the freezer over night makes it easier to get back in.
2014 Citroen C4 1.6 eHDI Selection Special edition 115Bhp

jeremy
Over 2k
Posts: 2112
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:58 am
Location: Hampshire UK

Post by jeremy » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:18 pm

I did mine not knowing if the technique would work - have done many worse jobs - takes sometime to hacksaw through the outer ring. You should also do the small bush at the back of the yolk.

Freezing is important - as you need all the help you can get to fit the new bush - worth making sure its got a small bevel on the leading edge (the one I used had a slight chamfer as a result of some part of the manufacturing process) and be prepared with tools ready before you remove it from the freezer - so you can get straight on with the job. I also greased it - and it went in quite well.

If I could get someone else to do it - well yes I'd miss the fun and let them!

tim leech

Post by tim leech » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:29 pm

Is it just thr ubber buit you change then?

User avatar
sleepy0905
1K Away
1K Away
Posts: 1394
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:23 am
Location: Birchwood, Lincoln

Post by sleepy0905 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:31 pm

yes
2014 Citroen C4 1.6 eHDI Selection Special edition 115Bhp

jeremy
Over 2k
Posts: 2112
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:58 am
Location: Hampshire UK

Post by jeremy » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:36 pm

Rubber bit is like a large suspension bush - outer steel ring, rubber and a centre steel tube - all lovingly bonded together. Small one at the back of the yolk is the same - but smaller.

tim leech

Post by tim leech » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:27 am

OK thanks

citroen7
BXpert
BXpert
Posts: 368
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 3:40 pm
Location: co.down N Ireland

Post by citroen7 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:48 am

Tim just check first that the bolt is not loose i thought mine was worn and went to main cit dealer in belfast to order new one and according to the computer they had never ordered one before! it was indeed a loose bolt which was undone when doing the clutch , that will teach me to rush things!!

tim leech

Post by tim leech » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:23 am

Mines shot matey you can see it move in the housing when you start it up, ive ordered a new one from citroen which will be here Tuesday, ive ordered the nut and bold aswell to be sure. £10+ VAT and a hourd labour at £30 so for £45 im happy not to get dirty!

User avatar
Kitch
Over 2k
Posts: 6183
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:36 pm
Location: Fareham, Hants
x 47

Post by Kitch » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:32 pm

I just bought the mount with a new housing complete.

User avatar
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team
Posts: 7529
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:03 pm
Location: A Bucket of Fish
x 7

Post by docchevron » Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:51 pm

Kitch wrote:I just bought the mount with a new housing complete.
Wheres the fun in that? No grazed knuckles or excuse to practice french swearing........ on second thoughts.... :lol:

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...

Brian
BXpert
BXpert
Posts: 441
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:53 pm
Location: Bedfordshire UK

Post by Brian » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:25 pm

Hi Folks,

Well, depending on how damaged the existing mount is, I was getting oscillations on low speed acceleration.

Inspected the lower bush, not too bad, a little slopy, so made up two curved metal plates that would fit into the two gaps in the rubber, secured them with silicon sealant, and bingo --- problem cured..

Worth a try !!!...

If any one is interested can take and post a photo ...