How reliable is the turbo on the 1.7 diesel model?

BX Tech talk
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

How reliable is the turbo on the 1.7 diesel model?

Post by MULLEY »

Anyone got any ideas on how long they last, how can u tell if its not working to full capacity.

Are there any ways to make sure the turbo doesnt get damaged, i know on petrol turbo cars, you should let them idle for a minute or 2 before switching the engine off, is this the same for the 1.7 td?
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

XUD turbos are exceptionally reliable - and bearing and seal failure is virtually unknown. Look at the for sale/wanted column - no one wants the things!

To check its working - you need a boost gauge which is a nice toy on your dashboard anyway as it will move as the boost builds up. Easy to fit - a 'T' off the extra fuel device piping from the intercooler.

Usually the only problem can be the wastegate sticking.

In fact its quite difficult to pull up without the engine having idled or run slowly for a couple of minutes. I make a point of shutting windows etc before turning off the engine as a habit.
Terry Brooks
BXpert
Location: No 1 at the end of the bar .....@Milton Arms,Rotherham

Re: How reliable is the turbo on the 1.7 diesel model?

Post by Terry Brooks »

MULLEY wrote: is this the same for the 1.7 td?
Yep ......sez so in t' drivers instruction book ......cant remember how long for though......
Dunno how long they're s'posed to last ........my tizzydee's done 153,000 and still going strong ........a "bloke who knows more about 'em than me" commented about 1000m ago that it was "one of the sweetest 1.7's he'd heard for a while".
How can you tell if its working to full capacity? ............Presumably if it'll rev to the red line [OK :shock: red marks then :P ] on the tacho or do 110+mph.
Change the oil regular ........I change mine every 3000 and the filter every 6000.
HTH
Tel.
'92 BXtzd
'88 2CV6
Dont let the 2CV fool you,I'm not a hippy,I like violence
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

The one i have has 95k on it and pulls like a train, will leave my 1.6 beetle for dead!
MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

So there would be no point in buying a spare turbo?
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Very little mate. The Garret and KKK turbo's are really well made and unless you turn the wick right up and abuse the hell out of them they last at least as long as the engine.
As with all things, regular oil changes with good quality oil helps.

Idling the engine is an absolute must before switching off to avoid oil starvation to the turbine. 30 seconds should be ample unless you've just pulled up from full throttle / boost situations (which doesn't tend to happen unless you drive like me!).

Equally, I always let the engine idle for a few moments before pulling away and I never work a cold engine hard, always best to let the lump warm up gently before working it hard.

If you are unlucky enough for the turbo to fail when on boost then the head would probably have to come off.....

Some I'm aware of failing have sounded bl**dy awful for a while before exploding while others just "let go".

On the whole though, it's much more likely the head gasket will give up than blow a turbo, they really are very well made so save your money!

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

If it helps, my turbo has done 195K and the car pulls very well. I have a spare turbo of which I don't know the history but if anyone gets stuck for one then hopefully it will get another td back to full glory.

The rubber diaghram that controls the extra fuel needed during turbo boost failed on my Rotodiesel pump about 3 years ago and it took me a year to get round to fitting a replacement pump. The car was sloooow and struggled up hills but I got around ok.

Does anyone know if the lack of extra fuel during boost is the same as having no turbo at all?
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Yes - to get any benefit from the turbo you must have the extra fuel. Without it you have a low compression 1.7 - ie about 55BHP pulling a gearbox which is far too long-legged for it. There might be a marginal increase due to higher compression when the turbo is running.

We have a 1.7TD Estate and a ZX 1.9D - and what is noticeable is how much beter the ZX moves off and really surprisingly how much better it is on really steep slow hills. Of course get the turbo running and the BX reaaly goes but if for example you have to slow right down for really tight corners the BX is not very happy - but the ZX is.

Incidentally they both have the same tyre size and first and second gears are the same.

The easy way to feel what its like is just to disconnect the pipe from the intercooler to the pump!
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Ive just changed the oil mulley and used vw approved castrol turbo diesel oil and a decent filter.
MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

Hi Tim, the car is sounding good (i might be getting a teensey wee bit excited at prospect of diesel ownership).

Thanks for all the help on this one guys, the only reason for asking is possible impending ownership of Tim's TZD & i saw the following on ebay & thought that looks cheap, might be useful as a spare, however sounds like i would be wasting cash, so anyone else interested?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Turbocharger-Luca ... dZViewItem
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

I noticed that but immediatley decided against.
It looks right but the photo is a gallery file not the turbo for sale and I dont recall Lucas making Turbo's for XUD's, I'm pretty sure that would be a recon unit of the KKK variey if it's in a Lucas box.....?

Either way, The Garret is the better turbo but they really do last forever so save your pennies mate. Invest it in beer instead!!! Much as I do! Cheers!

Chris G

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

Ok, i am persuaded not to buy turbo, so will spend on wifey's birthday rather than beer, although i could change my mind......
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Wise move, every scrapyard engine whether it died from head gasket, cambelt breakage or whatever generally has a serviceable turbo bolted to the back, I have two or three in my garage should anyone need a replacement (mind you it makes an inteesting afternoon swapping one in situ)
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

MULLEY wrote:Ok, i am persuaded not to buy turbo, so will spend on wifey's birthday rather than beer, although i could change my mind......
BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER ~ale~ ~ale~ ^^ ^^ ^^bx>

Cheers
Chris G