Driveshaft nightmare GRRRRR

BX Tech talk
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Driveshaft nightmare GRRRRR

Post by ed4ferrets »

Spent much of the day battling to remove the o/s driveshaft with inadequate tools ....... without success :cry:

The balljoint splitter I have is next to useless so I tried the alternative which I have used successfully a few times in the past.

This entails undoing the steering arm joint, loosening the strut clamp etc and swing all aside leaving just enough room to remove the driveshaft ...... with difficulty :roll:

However, my buddy's mk1 will not oblige, whether the caliper setup takes up more room than mk2 or what I don't know but cannot get the cv joint part past the caliper :evil:

Also I usually split the shaft at the inner boot (taking good care of rollers etc) but this one comes partway out and then comes to an abrupt stop :? , that's a new one for me too as I've also done this a few times previously without a hitch :-s :-k ](*,) .

I've committed myself to do this job but am not in a good state of mind ~ale~ so any hints will be much appreciated [-o<
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

Cheers Jon, actually I'm trying to get half of the shaft out (oops, mind the rollers) having unclipped the inner boot. However, it seems to jam before coming clear! Usually once that is clear I can wangle the shaft out past the caliper.

I guess splitting the shaft as a shortcut is generally frowned upon :oops:

If I remove the whole shaft, would the diff seal need replacing (done recently by your good self)?
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'63 Renault Caravelle
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Can you still buy cv joints for bx 16vs?
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

okay, after some butchering with a grinder the splitter worked a treat so i removed the shaft more traditionally :wink: and is now back in place with dry boot on 8)

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'63 Renault Caravelle
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

tim leech wrote:Can you still buy cv joints for bx 16vs?
Yep. They aint cheap though. It's almost as cheap to buy a whole shaft.
Dont bother with GSF shafts though, they say they are 16v shafts but, er, they aint!

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Umm. I tried splitting the inner joint on my BX, and it moves about 4-5 cm then jams on the rim- Must be a MK1 thing?
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

docchevron1472 wrote:
tim leech wrote:Can you still buy cv joints for bx 16vs?
Yep. They aint cheap though. It's almost as cheap to buy a whole shaft.
Dont bother with GSF shafts though, they say they are 16v shafts but, er, they aint!

Cheers
Chris G
16v shafts are the same aren't they? Aslong as they have ABS?
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Not quite Kitch. The inner joints are different internally on genuine cit shafts. The TD/16V shafts GSF sell are good for the TD and ok on the valver but I've trashed 2 sets in 2 years and I dont drive like a lunatic at all, ever. Well, nearly never :wink:

When I can find the exploded diagrams of the two shafts I'll post them up!

Cheers
Chris G

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

OK where can I get 16v shafts from the chaps?
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

These days... thats difficult! I got a set from citroen direct from france (via the local friendly independant garage at cost price!!) but that was some time ago.

If you were in Bristol I'd send you to Vristol 2cv's but try a main dealer, but expect to re-mortgage ytour house if they can still get them!

If it's just an outer joint get a TD unit. The outer joints are the same!

Incidentally, the reason the earlier shafts inner joints seem to stick before seperating is they have a plastic cup that is designed to stop them seperating. If you pull very hard on the shaft of give it a tap with "the persuading stick" they will seperate.

Cheers
Chris G

Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

[quote="tim leech"]OK where can I get 16v shafts from the chaps?[/quote
]Can't you get your old ones re-conditioned.Quite a few years ago,I had to have a 4x4 one rebuilt because(obviously) they didn't keep them in stock
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................