Silicone implant .... is it the answer?

BX Tech talk
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Silicone implant .... is it the answer?

Post by ed4ferrets »

Who has used silicone sucessfully to repair a small split in a cv boot? The boot is not perished and seems in good nick otherwise. The split seems like it may have been caused by being pinched or summat when being fitted, it is about 3mm long.
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle
M

Post by M »

Yup, done that. Used Sikaflex too. :roll:
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

What's the method ......... clean and dry the area applying silicone liberally?

And stop bragging, I've got a big red one too 8) :lol: :lol:
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Superglue is what is used in those bloody awful wrap around kits, it might stick better than silicone.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

I used one of those bloody awful wrap around boots....I expected it last about a week but it actually lasted about 4 years - and it was joined with superglue - which is even more surprising.

I fitted a new lower ball joint and then proceeded to change the brake disc and managed to put a small hole in the rubber 'shroud' around the joint. I sealed that with a silicone gasket sealant which has held for the last 2 years.

I suspect if you already have some grease seeping through, then a good clean followed by silicone would be a better mend. Using superglue, you actually have to get the edges of the cut clean which could be more difficult....
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

I just change the boot........ :roll:

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
ARRYNEV

Post by ARRYNEV »

Silicone will not last on rubber, nor superglue! the only thing you can do is to remove it, clean and use a bicycle repair patch. Or fit a new boot. :roll:
arrynev