Xan*ia susp bush

BX Tech talk
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Xan*ia susp bush

Post by BX Bandit »

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Sorry guys...I know a few of us have a Xantia. I have replaced the lower arm bushes (front and rear) but have a problem with one of the rear bushes. Its the one that fits onto the shaft on the rear of the arm. The bush is turning on the shaft. I understood that these bushes have to pressed onto the shaft and cut off to remove them. i.e. interference fit. I'm on my second bush and that too is not a tight fit.
Can anyone confirm if these bushes are supposed to be pressed on to result in a tight fit??
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
bernie
Likes welding rusty Fiats.

Re: Xan*ia susp bush

Post by bernie »

BX Bandit wrote::oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Sorry guys...I know a few of us have a Xantia. I have replaced the lower arm bushes (front and rear) but have a problem with one of the rear bushes. Its the one that fits onto the shaft on the rear of the arm. The bush is turning on the shaft. I understood that these bushes have to pressed onto the shaft and cut off to remove them. i.e. interference fit. I'm on my second bush and that too is not a tight fit.
Can anyone confirm if these bushes are supposed to be pressed on to result in a tight fit??
Yes, a very tight interference fit.
Just the 0 BX
1 TZD Turbo a/c going going GONE
1 TD Hurricane being broken up for spares
3 FIAT 124 Sports!!!
1 FIAT 124 Spider ex. California
Oh and I nearly forgot
A LOVELY XANTIA HDI EXCLUSIVE ESTATE
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Thanks Bernie, thats what I thought. I just thought it odd that 2 bushes have been loose. Maybe GSF have had a bad batch - it just results in more running around/time wasted etc. I'll buy 50 and take the best one I think :evil:
1990 BX TGD White
bernie
Likes welding rusty Fiats.

Post by bernie »

You could always try 'knurling' or centre popping or welding lines on the spigot. :roll:

Failing that it's a new/sh lower arm :cry:
Just the 0 BX
1 TZD Turbo a/c going going GONE
1 TD Hurricane being broken up for spares
3 FIAT 124 Sports!!!
1 FIAT 124 Spider ex. California
Oh and I nearly forgot
A LOVELY XANTIA HDI EXCLUSIVE ESTATE
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

The ones i did were very tight, they were wrongly packed too, both left hand sides :( To fit them I pushed them on using a big vice, the old ones had to be cut off with a grinder.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Yep, I had to grind mine off too after burning all the rubber off - filthy job and not too good for the lungs either.

I tried tapping the ends of the bush in but I couldn't get enough clout to make a significant difference - the rubber just absorbed all the impact. Then i tried putting a couple of weld tacks on the end but even with a lowish current setting the rubber has not done very well out of it :? Anyway theres 3mm of bush and 12ish mm of shaft so to weld it soundly the rubber will just choke me to death!!!
The other alternative as you said Bernie is to knurl/centre punch the shaft which will be my last resort as I suspect I'll be able to get one to fit properly - maybe GSF had a poor batch in. They're a good bunch of Guys in Cardiff so they'll help me out (it'snot the first time I've come to question the quality of some parts they supply tho' :( )
1990 BX TGD White
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

GSF have had a few returns of these bushes in Bristol lately, I know this cos I habg out at the garage thats been sending them back!

I've never failed to get an old bush off with nothing more than a vice, a cold chisel and a F$$$$ng big hammer!
I like hitting things!

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Thats interesting that Bristol has had the same probs - must be bad batch. Its just a pain in the a*se cos I can't take the car off the road for any length of time so if the replacement is no good, I have to put it all back together and get a new one.

Cardiff ordered 5 today so I'm hoping I'll strike gold with one of them. I'm beggining to get dissatisfied with this company, I've had various incorrect/poor fit/poor quality parts...has anyone used Auto-Equip in Glasgow??
1990 BX TGD White