new Battery dead ? starter motor ?

BX Tech talk
cacaolat
BXpert

new Battery dead ? starter motor ?

Post by cacaolat »

Hi,
I wanted to start my beloved BX this morning and the battery just gave a little sign of live. It is only about 4 months old ! There was a burned electric kind of smell under the bonnet. The Roadside assistance guy gave the starter motor plenty of knocks. (I was even worried about him breaking the quite new looking starter motor) ..he turned up with a big recovery truck and really, didn't look like a real mechanc to me.
Could it really be the starter motor ? I am now waiting for another Recovery vehicle to lift me to a garage. I would appreciate any advice. If it is that Starter M. should I go for the original one ?
Thanks for any advice.
former BX 16 TGS Meteor Auto owner. No space or time to do own repairs. My BX is now owned by another member of this forum.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

The garage should be able to test your battery. At 4 months old it unlikely to be your battery and in any event should still under warranty. With a burning smell, I would suspect your starter motor/solenoid. Some people, and I have in the past, fit replacement starters from a scrappy but from personal experience, it is worth getting new from GSF. Good luck
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

To test for dead battery in the absence of the starter motor, switch on the headlights, are they white or orange? Blow the horn, do they dim? if the answers to the above is yes then it might be a dead/flat battery.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

Hi, have already brought car to garage. You are right it was not the battery, as lights etc. still worked fine. It must have been a crap starter motor, as it still looks quite new. :?
former BX 16 TGS Meteor Auto owner. No space or time to do own repairs. My BX is now owned by another member of this forum.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

cacaolat wrote:It must have been a crap starter motor, as it still looks quite new. :?
That's good news as it clears up the worry of the burning smell too! :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto