Windows xp!

BX Tech talk
tim leech

Windows xp!

Post by tim leech »

The drivers window on my car is VERY slow to a point it nearly stops when you wind it down, and I have to give it a helping shove its a bit quicker on the way up. I imagine its a worn out motor, however is there a way of lubricating the runners and or the motor. The interior window rubber does seem to slow it down and partially folds back when the window is lowered so gives some resitance.

Anyone know if you can these motors new or would they be silly money, failing that has anyone got a drivers motor thats not off a high miler. I dont want to change it for one thats no better.

Thanks in advance.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Take the door panel off, behind the plastic sheet if it still has one fitted, you can get to the winding gear. Not too difficult to get plenty of grease on there, also try some silicone spray on the window runners. It will help.

If you still need a new motor. I'll most likely have one. newish anyway.
They think it's all over, it is now!
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

My drivers window has been like that ever since I got the car - 7 years ago - and when it gets bad I lubricate it with silicon, and it then works again for another year!

Watch it doesn't drag the seal away from the door top (back corner) as eventually it will break it. If you catch it in time you may be able to pull the seal out and reposition it with some glue.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

thus far i've never seen one of these motors fail. Its always been the felt has worn away on the outer or inner window seal (think its inner if it jams on the way down, outer if it jams on the way up), and these are pretty straight forward to change, in the case of the inner its simply clipped to the door card.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Vanny wrote:thus far i've never seen one of these motors fail.
Same here, that's why I've got a drawer full of em.

Unlike the dreaded X@N71A and XM.
They think it's all over, it is now!
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

i've got a xantia one too, brand new, totally useless to me!
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Ok kewl, ken maybe we can sort something when you pick up this radiator on a good used window motor,

Will wait until I get one, and will lube the runners etc, still need to sort the cntral locking, the remote plip locks all the doors but not the drivers, which Im told is probably the motor. Its the manual action that operates the locking.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I replaced my passenger door lock motor with Maplins generic 5 wire motor and much to my surprise it dropped straight in - picking up on the existing link and using the original holes. They are less than £10 - and there are 2 versions, 5 wire for doors with switches ans 2 wires for back doors.

Incidentally the thing would unlock but not lock or something.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

I am not techniclaly minded jeremy to be honest, if its a case of just taking one off and fiting a new one then its fine, will get areplacement drivers door lock motor and see if that cures it.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

A motor should sort it mate, The remote central locking worked all the doors except the drivers on my valver, changed the motor, ta dah! it works! Was one of the easiest and simple fixes I've ever managed on any car! The TD's gone the same way now so I'll be doing it again!!!

Though do check the wiring to it first, just to make sure......

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
cauchoiskev
BXpert

Post by cauchoiskev »

What kind of mileage has the car got ?

If the door has been opened and closed a lot, the wires inside the "accordeon" rubber between the door and the pillar finally fray then break. A frayed wire could well cause the window to slow down : happened to mine anyway (200000 miles), on the driver's side too, which is usually opened/closed a lot more often....
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

140000 miles!
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Will get another motor and swap it and grease all the runners etc at the same time.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Brother in laws V6 F*RD window problem was because the motor had let in water and the grease had turned to a mayonaise crud along with a sprinkle of rust. :( So a motor change may solve the problem. :)
1991 BX19GTi Auto