Wiring for oil pressure gauges.....

BX Tech talk
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Wiring for oil pressure gauges.....

Post by docchevron »

Ok peeps, I want to fit a full 16v instrument binnacle in dad's TD.
The water temp gauge I added some time ago and the oil temp gauge is easy to plumb in, the car already has the oil level gauge and even with a 16v dash fitted this works correctley.
Where do I attach a wire to the dash to run the pressure gauge??
You must understand that I know next to nothing about electrics....

Running round the dash with a multimeter tells me that the "plug on white box" that I assume controls the level gauge? also connects to the multipins on the top of the dash, the seperate plug that fits into the white box has 3 wires as does my 16v so I assume the pressure gauge wire attaches to the multipin somewhere???
Any ideas chaps?
Thanks in advance..

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

The circuit is simply the common instrument supply - to earth via the engine sensor switch. I doubt if the TD wiring provides for an oil pressure sensor so it will be necessary to run the new cable - right up to the gauge unit.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

I've got the new cable in place mate, but where do I stick it on the instrument pcb??????

Cheers
Chris G

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

If I read Haynes diagram properly its a white connector with 10 wires and the one you want is no 2 - which may be brown with a red tracer.

The other end of the instrument loom looks like another white connector with 3 wires this time, and the oil pressure gauge is no 2.

Alternatively - work from the back of the gauge - presumably the common supply is easy to find - otherwise the supplied side of the fuel gauge will indicate which one - and you can simply put a wire on the other terminal on the oil pressure gauge or find an unused track on the circuit sheet and borrow that.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Magic! Thanks bud, that corresponds with the readings I was getting from the test meter! I'll have a go tomorrow and see what happens..

Many thanks

Cheers
Chris G

Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

I am intrigued by this. Where do you fit the oil pressure sender on a TD.
I have wanted to do this mod on my 2 TDs for some time but - having looked round the block I cannot see where a sender would screw in.

How have you done it.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Ah, well, it's easy enough but.... Unlike GTi and 16v's that have two ports in the block the diesel lump only has one so you need some adaptors (available from most good accessory shops).

Then you just screw the oil pressure switch and gauge sender into the adaptor block!

Cheers
Chris G

roscoe
BXpert

Post by roscoe »

I'm curious - my TZD turbo diesel has oil pressure gauge and level, but no oil temperature. I put a 16V panel in as well to get the water temp gauge but haven't figured out how to get the oil temp wired in - as the original pressed steel sump had no fitting for the sensor like my 16V did. So Docchevron - how did you get the oil temp sorted out - where did you put the sensor, and what did you wire the gauge to?
cheers,
Roscoe
1991 TZD
2004 Peugeot 307
1990 Mitsubishi Express Van - Alpaca Transporter
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Theres two ways to fir the sensor for the oil temp gauge. Either cut a hole in the back of the sump and beaze a nut to it the same thread as the sensor, or fir a GTi or 16v sump (with spacer).
Since I have a couple of spare 16v sumps guess which method I'm using!!

The car has a 16v instrument binnacle so the wire for it I've tagged straight to the back of the gauge. Job done!

Alas though, the pressure gauge still doesn't work....... yet!

Cheers
Chris G

roscoe
BXpert

Post by roscoe »

Thanks Chris
I sourced a GTI sump for my TZD and fitted it a couple of weeks ago in preparation for fitting A/C to the car - and it has a pre-drilled hole just above the oil drain plug which I assume will fit the sender unit. I have to try and find one of those now and will then run a wire up to the panel - lucky I have another panel out of my 16V parts car I can use to find the correct pin out for it.
Cheers - and a good job you're doing on your dad's BX - way beyond my capabilities or skill level!
cheers,
Roscoe
1991 TZD
2004 Peugeot 307
1990 Mitsubishi Express Van - Alpaca Transporter
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

I'll have to check the alloy sump on my valver, cant remember where the sender fits but the threaded hole sounds right!
Sender units are available for about £10 from citroen. Cant remember the part number off the top of my head but any half decent parts depatrment employee should know :?:

The easiest way to attach the wire is to use a small ring terminal and put straight on the back of the gauge!

Thanks for your kind words dude! Duno bout skill..... She's not perfect...

Cheers
Chris G