Exhaust questions...

BX Tech talk
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Exhaust questions...

Post by cavmad »

..excuse my usual ignorance of anything remotely technical but I am correct in thinking all BX rear exhausts are the same with the exception of 16Vs and estates? I just seem to reall someone telling me this.
I might need a back box for a petrol hatchback and have a diesel one (I think) knocking about round here somewhere.
Feasible or just plain daft?
Vauxhall apologist.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Er right! In terms of back boxes, with the exception of estates and TRi's there are only two types!

The 16v, GTi and TD have the same back boxes.

1.4, 1.6, 1.9, 1.7D and 1.9D all the share the same back box.

So, if you want to put a diesel back box on a petrol or vice versa you can! So long as they fall into the same catergory as above.

I.e. a 1.9D back box will fit on a 14, 16, 19(non GTi), and 17D.

Hope this helps mate.

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Have a look at the GSF on line shop - they list the applications there.

Or I think someone posted a link to an on-line exhaust supplier - they may have the info on their site.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Doc, Jeremy, many thanks for a quick and helpful response, that certainly does help matters.
Vauxhall apologist.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Still, it must be a pig DIY'ing these things without a gas welding torch to heat the joint to almost cherry red? :?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

I think the TD/16V/GTI are a bigger bore than the rest?
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

I have always found backboxes are DIYable. Just put the car on high, then axle stands for security, handbrake on hard, loosen the clamp where it joins the middle box/expansion box, give it a few wacks with a hammer where it joins, then remove the rear securing rubber ring and pull down on the backbox so that it rotates inside the middle box, wacking it further if necessary. Refitting is the easier bit, just use joining compound and do the clamp up tight. Also, it might be an idea to WD40 the clamp bolts the night before.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Thanks again folks. Adam, I have done one exhaust (with Sleepy) on the estate and it wasn`t too bad so I`m happy to at least try!
Vauxhall apologist.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

The GTI/TD ones are easiest as they use a "trumpet" type of join held together by a clamp, these always come apart even if you have to "kill" the clamp, the other smaller bore types are sleeved inside one another, if the donor vehicle is diesel then you have half a chance.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

The (ph 2) 16v has a different tail pipe to the GTi/TD.

BTW Does anybody know if 16v back boxes/tail pipes are still (easily) available and could I put one on my 8v?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

I have a whole GTi rear end on mine, that was connected to a TD front pipe so they are deffinatley interchangable, thought the TRi was a gti but in Australia, i'd have thought that only the front box would be different being cat'd, so does the cat change the back box or did TRi's have a totally different setup?

While the 16v does have the straight out pipe, they will still fit under the average BX, might need a cut out in the bumper in a tightly strung one :D

I dont know if the original rear box's are still available phil, but there exactly the same with a different exit pipe so i guess you could weld something chromed onto the end?
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I did enquire with a company in Leeds how much it would cost to make a custom built stainless steel exhaust system for the Gti, £299 was their answer. This seemed fairley reasonable especially as they come with lifetime guarantee.

Anyone else get a cheaper full s/s exhaust system?
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

A friend of mine has a S/S system on his 1.4 TGE, don't know how much he paid for it, but it too came from somewhere in Leeds.
They think it's all over, it is now!
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Found the e-mail, the content of which i have pasted in below:

===============================================

A custom build stainless exhaust system for your Citroen BX would usually run from the existing downpipe section through to the rear of the car. Included in the base system price would be a standard style 2.5" rolled lip style tailpipe. You can of course choose an alternative or upgrade from our extensive range of about 55 tailpipes if you wish.

Because all of our systems are custom built, you are able to tell us how you would like the car to sound, anywhere from quiet to full sport. The most popular choice is Mild Sport, which gives a slight note when you open the accelerator, yet without being intrusive.

The system is guaranteed for as long as you own the car, and this is a fully transferrable warranty. It's also a "No Hassle" warranty - we believe it is the very the best warranty in the industry.

If you are interested in technical specifications, the system is built in 304 grade stainless steel throughout, and assembled using high frequency TIG welding. All of our systems are built using freeflow technology, so your engine will breathe better than with conventional systems. This usually gives a noticeable improvement in the torque from your engine - particularly at lower revs. We have numerous testimonials from customers who have experienced both improved engine performance and fuel economy.

Fitting is by appointment - we usually require a vehicle like yours for around 3.5 hours while we custom build and fit the system. If you chose to wait with your car, we have waiting facilities with coffee and internet access. If it makes life easier, we may be able to make a courtesy car available while yours is with us. There is no charge for a courtesy car, but there is an age restriction. Alternatively, we are a few minutes walk from Carshalton Beeches station, from where a train will take you to London Victoria in about 40 minutes.

To custom build and fit a Longlife system onto your vehicle, the price (inclusive of VAT) with the 2.5" tailpipe option works out at £299.

I trust that this is of interest to you. If you want to book in, or require any further information, then please call either myself or Lisa French on 0870 600 3133.

We are based at Unit 6, Lakeside Ind Estate, Tong Road, Leeds, LS12 4QP.

Thanks for contacting us,
Regards,

Alex Hollo-Tas.
Longlife Exhausts
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

MULLEY wrote:.... Alternatively, we are a few minutes walk from Carshalton Beeches station, from where a train will take you to London Victoria in about 40 minutes.

We are based at Unit 6, Lakeside Ind Estate, Tong Road, Leeds, LS12 4QP.

Thanks for contacting us,
Regards,

Alex Hollo-Tas.
Longlife Exhausts

Am I the only one who thought Carshalton was in London and didn`t know of a train that got from Leeds to London Victoria in 40 minutes?
Vauxhall apologist.