MK1 16RS has expired!

BX Tech talk
ed4ferrets
BXpert

MK1 16RS has expired!

Post by ed4ferrets »

Regret to say that Gazpacho Andulus let SWMBO loose in his BX 16RS resulting in a broken cambelt .... crash bang wallop :shock:

Any advice in this regard will be welcomed, is it worth fixing or replacing the engine ......... prognosis :?
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

It's got to be worth trying a new cambelt on first. I've had some success with this and I've known others too.

Failing that, swap engine.
They think it's all over, it is now!
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Ed! You live!

Was the engine idling or revving when it let go?

If the cam is intact then you might be very lucky and get away with a new belt.

A mate of mine did with a 16 a few years back.

Belts are chaeap enough so it's worth trying.
If it doesn't run then a couple valves and a headset will be required.
Easy to do and not too expensive,
If you need assistence I'm sure I could have a go at it for you if you like?

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

As these engines have combustion chambers in the head its possible that there is no internal collision - and as Doc says - all that will be needed is a new belt.

Needs a bit of careful investigation to see what has happened!
thanuttiscotsman
BXpert

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

hi there,
the guys are right. basically it all depends on whether the car was wicking over or at higher rpm. tick over prolly ok higher speed you will have a few bent valves.

rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Chipped, k+N, full scorpion, weber throttle body, NOS 1990 BX 16v ph2
1996 transit 2.5di 80 swb
2006 Suzuki GSR 600cc Fast as F**K!
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

As an aside Ed, Was it you on the M32 south bound last friday about ten to eight at night??

L reg Red BX Break? If so did you notice the big white, pink and purple bus overtaking you at speed??? It was me!

Cheers
Chris G

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

Guilty as charged Doc, your bow wave almost sent me into the barrier :wink:

I understand the belt went 'ping' at 30mph, no idea in what gear or other circumstances :?

Anyway, I will advise the man of his options & see what happens.

Hail to the busdriver, busdriver man :lol: :lol:
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'63 Renault Caravelle
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

Welcome back Ed,I'd been wondering where you were
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

Cheers Dean, I tend to hibernate from time to time :wink:

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'63 Renault Caravelle
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Indeed, welcome back matey!
If I'd known for sure it was you mate I'd have been more careful in overtaking mode!! :D

Suspect a new belt would probably see it ok.
My mates went at 70mph, I put a belt on it and it went on for a few years untill he sold it. Then the head gasket failed but thats another story!

Cheers
Chris G

cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Aye up Ed, welcome back mate!
Vauxhall apologist.
gazpacho andulus
Confirmed BX'er

BX 16RS has risen from the ashes

Post by gazpacho andulus »

Saturday afternoon and looking out saw the RS's bonnet up and a red BX boot up next to it. Chris G had shaken off his very busy schedule long enough to pop over and fiddle with the snapped timing belt. He had it all off when I got out there and the belt was ripped and I was glad I'd bought a new Tensioner as that was also nacked. The cam looked O.k so he re-assembled and the engine started up and fires on all 4. It sounds a bit tappety but then perhaps it always did. Chris G is not only a top mechanic , he is also a top man thanks bud aned I hope I can help you out in return someday. Gaz
now I'm listening. TZD Estate 1991
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

This definately is a well deserved BX'er of the week award.

After some of Chris's efforts this year i think we need a new award.... BX'er of the year?
Over and out from me
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

Ian_Fearn wrote:This definately is a well deserved BX'er of the week award.

After some of Chris's efforts this year i think we need a new award.... BX'er of the year?
How about BX god 8)
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Barnsley BXer wrote:How about BX god 8)
You spoke my child! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriousley guys, I'm no better than anyone else at fixing things. I'm not technically brilliant (although I am a member of MENSA and share the same IQ as Carol Phwoardorman!).

Whilst praise is always good for the ego, all I did was fit a cambelt really. Not rocket science!

I hadn't intended to anything yesterday at all, I had planned to go to Wales to play with Bandits Valver (is it just me that thinks that sounds luciousley DIRRRTTTYYY?!?) but since I've come down with a virus of unknown origin (cool huh!) I deemed it a bad idea to drive to Wales! Good thing too really since Gaz only lives 10 minutes from me and I was all over the road on the way home! I kept wondering why peeps were blowing there horn at me, then I realised I was straddling both lanes of a dual carriageway doing 20mph!!! :shock:

Since I got bored by lunchtime and hate wasting days I thought I'd have a little go at the RS. Sounds ok but doesn't like starting. Suspect some valve damage but hopefully it'll come back to life, and it's another fine gentleman of this club I've met!

Cheers
Chris G