MK1 16RS has expired!

BX Tech talk
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

You know the more i hear about this BX god that is Chris i really wish i could have been around to meet you when you picked up that crappy old red 16v.

I may have been overcome though :-)
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
gazpacho andulus
Confirmed BX'er

16RS back to life but stubborn

Post by gazpacho andulus »

Sunday early started second time but this afternoon sounded very chesty and had to turn the key about twenty times thought I was gonna flatten it. Took it for a spin without rent down to the Sainsbury's roundabout and it goes flat at about 1500 to 1800 which I hope will bed in. I dont blieve in fixing wot aint really broke ...suck it and see? Chris gG said it might "bed in" so I'm gonna get some dvla rent and run it. I'll keep you up on the news.
regards
gaz
now I'm listening. TZD Estate 1991
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

hhmm, not sounding overly hopeful mate. :cry:

I've known them before (especially the 1.6) to be quite good at the valves reseating themselves once they've been up and down a few thousand times, but the lack of will to fire up and going flat, coupled with hoarseness suggests some blow by past the valves.....

Maybe the head may have to come off mate....
Headset, bolts, 2-4 valves, head skim, shiming etc, could be looking at a couple of hundred quid...

I assume the plugs / dizzy cap / rotor arm are ok??
I know the fuel pump seems ok, certainly pumps well enough.

Maybe some further investigation is required before condemning the valves...

Sorry dude, maybe not such a cheap and easy fix after all.

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Stinkwheel wrote:You know the more i hear about this BX god that is Chris i really wish i could have been around to meet you when you picked up that crappy old red 16v.
I aint anything special mate...

The valver I got from you wasn't inherently awful. It was nice and shiny and the engine felt good, it's just that the back end had rotted away to nothing and gravity was keeping the rear subframe attached to the car. The front subframe had a plate welded over the N/S rear corner but the rot under it hadn't been treated or cut out and was disintegrating.

In different circumstances I'd have fixed it but I needed a runner to replace my bent TD and didn't have time to do the car justice. Although it kept 5 other BX's on the road, and the engine lives on too, and not in a PUG :twisted: .
I've been told by various peeps that the previous owner of the car (before you had it) had alledgedley spent huge sums of money on it, but apart from the exhaust I failed to see where!

Some you win etc.... it lives on in spirit!!

Cheers
Chris G

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

As you know my xantia did a similar thing not long ago and I imagine the engines are similar with it being a 1.8 version of a 8v XU engine, Looking at the head on mine when it came off there was NO WAY it could have righed itself as the valver were proper bent, plus the head was marked and had to be skimmed.
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

On the subject of your xantia Tim what did you have to do with it in the end?

I've got the offer of a 1.8i lx 97 R for very very little, cambelt snapped done at least one valve. Im not fussed myself about it but the wife has shown an interest.

Basically is it gonna be a nightmare or was yours relatively easy to sort out?
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
gazpacho andulus
Confirmed BX'er

Post by gazpacho andulus »

Happy Boxing D Everyone. :cry:
The 16RS hasn't started since last time(10th) and the battery is out and on charge. Rotar and plugs look good suspect a bit of cylinder head damage and as the car only cost me 200 this time last year I can't afford to f*** about with it and still it might not be 100%. Edferretts has threatened to let me have swampy 1.9 TZD :D which needs a tad of weld and a drivers side drive shaft for M.O.t so even though the16RS has a perfect body he might have to go. Anyone want him to play with for nix? Let me know and we can arrange it. 10 mths M.O.T still on as well but no tax.
now I'm listening. TZD Estate 1991
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

It was quite easy to fix, i didnt do it but the chap whos did had the head off in just over a hour and abit, yours being a 16v will take that bit more work but will make a nice car when fixed. The head work was only £150 including new valves, stem seals a head skim and rebuilt ready to bolt on.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

gazpacho andulus wrote:Happy Boxing D Everyone. :cry:
The 16RS hasn't started since last time(10th) and the battery is out and on charge. Rotar and plugs look good suspect a bit of cylinder head damage and as the car only cost me 200 this time last year I can't afford to f*** about with it and still it might not be 100%. Edferretts has threatened to let me have swampy 1.9 TZD :D which needs a tad of weld and a drivers side drive shaft for M.O.t so even though the16RS has a perfect body he might have to go. Anyone want him to play with for nix? Let me know and we can arrange it. 10 mths M.O.T still on as well but no tax.

MK1 up for granbs, that does come up very often and being a 16 petrol the heads are quit common.
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Don't tempt me - oh all right then, Auto GTI for sale as well, I feel a hybrid project coming on. Get thee behind me Satan (and push!)
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Oh dear, sorry to hear that Gaz, it's obviousley going to need some valves. Shame, it's a really nice car!
If I had the time / space I'd rip your arm off for it, bodily it's very good, probably the best Mk1 I've seen for years.

Sorry bud, not such a cheap fix after all......

Cheers
Chris g