Quick engine mount question

BX Tech talk
cauchoiskev
BXpert
BXpert

Quick engine mount question

Post by cauchoiskev » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:51 pm

Well, I was having a bit of judder which apparently isn't clutch related, and noticed that the gap between the two rubber "pyramids with the top chopped off" and the right-side engine mount was about 1/4 inch.

However, on my other BX (the Calanque) which has no judder, there is no gap at all. So I loosened off the bolt and hammered a "suitable" steel plate behind the rubber pyamid thingy, so now there is no gap (there was a similar steel plate in the Calanque).

To be fair, this has lessened the judder, however there is far more vibration - and noise - transmitted into the interior at low RPM.

So my question is - what is the spec for the gap between those rubber pyramids and the right engine mount ??? No mention in Haynes, of course :evil: :evil: :evil: .

BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:05 pm

I had the same problem a few years back and took a similar approach to you but still left some gap (1 - 2mm). I suppose if you used a hammer then it will be too tight. Aim for 1mm to allow some play and give it a go. However, I have also replaced the other mounts as well and I don't get judder. May be worth looking at the others to see how they are....
have some balls
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TZD (with A/C) Pink
1990 BX TGD White
2003 Audi A6 2.5 TDi
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue

Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:19 pm

Have a look at the the large mount behind the sump, if this has gone soft it can cause a lot of movement.

thanuttiscotsman
BXpert
BXpert

Re: Quick engine mount question

Post by thanuttiscotsman » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:33 pm

cauchoiskev wrote: there is no gap at all. So I loosened off the bolt and hammered a "suitable" steel plate behind the rubber pyamid thingy, so now there is no gap (there was a similar steel plate in the Calanque).
however there is far more vibration - and noise - transmitted into the interior at low RPM.
??? No mention in Haynes, of course :evil: :evil: :evil: .
hi there,
you have more vibration becuase there is steel in there and not just rubber. steel carries vibrations and makes extra noise and rubber absorbs vibrations etc. i would have screwed down to close the gap not stick bits in but you may be right and i may be wrong.
as things have changed with your car after the adjustment you are defo on the right track hopefully someone will be able to supply a diagram or photo to help solve it. :wink:

rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Chipped, k+N, full scorpion, weber throttle body, NOS 1990 BX 16v ph2
1996 transit 2.5di 80 swb
2006 Suzuki GSR 600cc Fast as F**K!

Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:34 am

Was this the thing that the "Mad Frenchman" fixed with his shoe? :?
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:10 am

Way2go wrote:Was this the thing that the "Mad Frenchman" fixed with his shoe? :?
Thats the one! :shock:

cauchoiskev
BXpert
BXpert

Post by cauchoiskev » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:59 pm

Yeah, I've already changed the "mad Frenchman" lower engine mount (worst job I've ever done on the BX btw).

As the bandit says, the pyramids are probably too tight now, and I also think the two top engine mounts will have to be changed. That will probably be after I've changed the fuel pipes, front disc/pads, thermostat etc. etc. etc...

cauchoiskev
BXpert
BXpert

Post by cauchoiskev » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:00 pm

Yeah, I've already changed the "mad Frenchman" lower engine mount (worst job I've ever done on the BX btw).

As the bandit says, the pyramids are probably too tight now, and I also think the two top engine mounts will have to be changed. That will probably be after I've changed the fuel pipes, front disc/pads, thermostat etc. etc. etc...