Leak at rear

BX Tech talk
Highhillphil

Post by Highhillphil »

Got the S.o.a Bitch.
What a feeling of releif.
Turning the cup has no effect on freeing it as its loosely pressed onto the stub.The stub was fairly rusted into the swinging arm.Brute force and anger were the answers.
The cylinder has a hole in it about as big as a grain of rice, as posters predicted.
Just a 'simple' matter of 'reassemly is a reversal of removal' when the new cylinder arrives.
Thank you for the help.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Well done! It did feel good, didn't it?
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Highhillphil

Post by Highhillphil »

It'll feel even better when its back together!!
My family might start calling me Phil again instead of Victor Meldrew.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

DLM wrote:Do you mean the bell-shaped section on either of the rear subframe that the struts pass through? I know they act to some extent as crud collectors, and can catch out the unwary mechanic if they get fill with lhm from a leak.

However, knowing the design, I'm surprised to hear that water can pass backwards and upwards into them, unless you're in the habit of fording streams!
That's what I mean - I take your point about water getting in and it seems unlikely (although I ended up going through a foot or so of water a couple of weeks ago).
Hoever, what made me think that water must be getting trapped was the fact that both cylinders had a corrosion line which was parallel to the floor, looking as though they had been sat in liquid for some time. Above this line both were pristine.
I'll certinly be paying close attention to the cylinders this winter, when I am cleaning salt away from the underneath. Brrr.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

I suppose the only other realistic possibility is an over-enthusiastic pressure-wash or steam-clean underneath.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

found a lot of crud in there when replacing the rubber bit on Gareths the other week, it was fairly oily grit, I suppose cutting a hole in the bottom of it would let the gunge out without weakening the component, I am going to see if I can direct the jetwash under there next time though how successful I will be :?:
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft