Wheel wobble, abs warning light, suspension.......

BX Tech talk
Nick

Wheel wobble, abs warning light, suspension.......

Post by Nick »

Hi all,
I bought my BX 1.7 turbo diesel estate 6 months ago on a K plate and blagged a mot on it. I've managed to keep it alive for this long (oil and filter changes) and now think I will have to start paying the price for little or no mechanical skills.
The nearside wheel wobbles between 40 and 50mph and settles down over that but leaves a gentle reminder as you cruise at 70ish. Now the abs warning light flashes intermittently and it sounds like the pads have gone on one caliper. Investigations to follow.
My suspension doesn't seem to ride correctly and hops about a bit on normal settings. When put into the raised setting, just below the spare wheel sign, it's not too bad, but the rear end seems to be too high. Also the pump is being called for every 10 to 15 seconds. I want to try and keep it alive as my kids reckon it's un cool.... saves ferrying them all over the place!
Any advice gents?
Regards,
Nick.
BX-less, looking for a good TZD estate.
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Intermittent ABS light is probably a cable giving up from the sensor. This can be fixed with coax cable and sticky heatshrink. Harsh and bumpy ride is probably due to a worn out sphere or two. Wheel wobble is possibly wheel balance; try swapping a few tyres around and see if it moves or goes away and your fifteen second ticktime is quite likely to be a poor accumulator sphere. I'd advise you to take a good squint at the BX DIY site that we link to. It has been a great help to us all in the past and contains lots of simple checks and answers. NB, I work in Herts during the week. If you are stuck, PM me.
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Nick

I concur with Tom, and I was in exactly your position a few months ago - little or no mechanical skills. This site and others have helped enormously, to the extent that I offed a perfectly good ZX and bought a BX as a project. If you are prepared to ask for help and get hands on, this site will give you all the guidance you need.

Welcome!

Oscar
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hi again,
Thanks Tom & Oscar for the advice, investigated the ABS issue, pads worn out on off side front, and only half way through on the nearside. Do you think the nearside caliper is in need of a rebuild or something?
Wheel wobble seems to have dissapeared after swopping front and rear nearside wheels, great tip. Thanks.
No time left this weekend to get involved with suspension issues, just done another oil change.
Thanks again,
Nick
BX-less, looking for a good TZD estate.
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

You have a sticking caliper. It rides on a pair of tubes within rubber bellows. one of these has perforated and the pin has gone rusty. Cut the bellows off, knock out the pins, clean off the rust and use plenty of copaslip when rebuilding. Check it every three months. The wheel you swapped is either out of balance or buckled. Get it balanced. THe ABS problem wants a bit of looking at. WHen you are ready to do it, get back to us.