Xenon worth it?

BX Tech talk
Gareth Wales
BXpert

Xenon worth it?

Post by Gareth Wales »

Are these bulbs, typically sold on e-Bay, really that much better.
I've just driven 60 very dark miles, and I must say the standard BX lights are terrific.
Gareth
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

When i first bought a BX i thought the lights were dire.

I went out and bought brand new headlights, bulbs, foglamps and bulbs.

I then set them up infront of the garage door.

After that they were great. I put the top Halfrauds bulbs in which are apparently Xenon. I'm sure the alignment and new headlights are what made the difference, not the bulbs.

What you really want is the genuine article HID headlight conversion kit which i think starts at a shade under £200. This is the system on upmarket modern cars with the blue/daylight coloured headlights.
Over and out from me
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I would watch out for bulbs on e-bay, theres an awful lot of crap being sold, looked for branded names such as phillips, osram etc... who actually make decent car bulbs.

I have thought about investing in some new bulbs as they are supposed to be 40% brighter, which can only be a good thing. I think my main beams are a bit weak by modern standards, but with full beam they seem pretty good. So would prefer to have brighter main beams for added safety factor.

Anyone else changed to brighter bulbs? How have u found them?
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

I was running 90 / 160 watt bulbs in the TD as the light output was sh!te.

Then I got the valver and noticed how much brighter the lights in it were with standard bulbs.
Changed the headlamps in the TD, put standard bulbs in and set them right. Bl**dy terrific now!

Of course, aside from 90 / 160's being illegal for road use they also require a relay and some decent wiring since the original loom just aint up to it!.....How do I know this.... :roll:

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

I have those "blue ice" bulbs in mine (previous owner fitment) and they are like candles!,soon to be changed!
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Heavy duty wiring will make a great difference - fun trying to retain the dim dip - as the dip beam will benefit too.

Alignemt will also make a world of difference. It seems most MOT stations only use their alignment kit to make sure the lights don't dazzle rather than aligning it properly.

I had mine come back from the MOT one year with the lights pointing skywards - as presumably someone had let the suspenion sink at the back while doing the job!
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Funny that, Jeremy. I think we use the same tester because mine got fiddled with every year on any car I brought in until he changed premises and it is all right now. Back on topic, I bought Philips 55/60 blue bulbs last month and can report a noticeable improvement but voltage drop is the real enemy. Thicker cables are the answer.
Neortic95

xenon bulbs

Post by Neortic95 »

Hi, I put these xenon bulds in my BX and I have to say it was the biggest waste of time and money ever. I even got some from auto bulbs direct quality I thought but they are crap also. So now I have bought a proper HID KIT and they are fantastic I can recommend them. They are very good for driving in the dark in the highlands of scotland as I found out last week. Just about to fit the hearlamp washers before the MOT is due as I think it will fail without them.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Headlamp washers are NOT a requirement for the MOT.
Neortic95

Post by Neortic95 »

I was of the understanding that All xenon headlamps have to have washers or wipers or both by law. But I must admit that none of the HID kits you buy seem to state this. Certainly all new cars with them fitted have them. Everybody I asked some of which were MOT testers seem to give a different answer so I thought I would do it to be safe.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Why not have a look at the testers manual:

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual/contents.htm

If its only bulbs that are changed - why not submut it for test with the standard bulbs in it.