Rear bumper removal/re-fitting...

BX Tech talk
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Rear bumper removal/re-fitting...

Post by cavmad »

...can someone please tell me how to remove the rear bumper on a (GTi) hatchback?
Also an idea of what tolls would help please, are they a socket jobbie or those Torx screw things I always struggle with?
Cheers,
Vauxhall apologist.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

It's only six Torx bits mate.
Cant remember what size they are though....

Remove rear lights, pull the boot seal back in the middle of the car by the latch for the lock.
You'll see three torx screws across the top of the bumper. Er, Remove them!

Underneath the car you'll see three more torx screws, undo them, the middle ones by the spare wheel clamp bolt.

Pull the bumper backwards, then you'll need to pull either side of the bumper outwards slightley (you'll see the plastic brackets) then it's off!

Re-fitting is reversal of removing*

*copyright Haynes books of myths, legends and other well known fairy tails! :D

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Tie bumper to covenient nearby post/bollard and accelerate briskly HEY PRESTO one removed rear bumper! :D Only tool required is the spanner behind the wheel :oops:
Last edited by tim leech on Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

:shock:

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

docchevron1472 wrote:It's only six Torx bits mate.
Cant remember what size they are though....

Remove rear lights, pull the boot seal back in the middle of the car by the latch for the lock.
You'll see three torx screws across the top of the bumper. Er, Remove them!

Underneath the car you'll see three more torx screws, undo them, the middle ones by the spare wheel clamp bolt.

Pull the bumper backwards, then you'll need to pull either side of the bumper outwards slightley (you'll see the plastic brackets) then it's off!

Re-fitting is reversal of removing*

*copyright Haynes books of myths, legends and other well known fairy tails! :D

Cheers
Chris G

Cheers Doc, was going to have a go this afters but have had a totally sh*t day so didn`t fancy my chances of doing it without destroying it or something else in a fit of rage :evil:
Vauxhall apologist.
citroen7
BXpert

Post by citroen7 »

good idea cav these little bliters can be stuck solid so give them a good soak with wd40 or similar and get a good quality torx bit that goes on the end of a socket t bar as opposed to the cheapie sets . :) if memory servs they ore t20 or25 , and go gentle on the side clips they can break easily too!
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Aye, think they are T25's...

Mine always come out nice and easy, mainly cos I take the cars to pieces every other week! :D :D :D :D

Dont do them up too tight when you put it all back together though.

Cheers
Chris G

sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

They come out realy easy as the torq screws are self tappers and they screw into plastic captive nuts very easy no WD needed I have never had a problem. :D
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Cheers Sleepy, shut your windows tomorrow then mate as you`ll probably be able to hear the swear words from your house when it inevitably ends in tears :lol:
Vauxhall apologist.
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Just dont get CROSS with them they do come out easy I promise.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

When I can be bothered to get of my bum I shall be attempting this. haven`t checked the GTi out since the garage finished welding it and fitting new exhaust parts and plugs.
Scrappy tomorrow for Xantia wheels (if they have any), re-fit bumper and bonnet, replace an LHM pipe which has come adrift (I think it`s a return pipe) and then it`s ready, with exception of the cold interior heating.
Vauxhall apologist.
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Just remember billy dont get cross the six torq screws go into captive plastic fixings so they come out ever so easy once the screws are out gently pull the bumper rearwards and it will come off nice and easy.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Cheers Aaron! Just been to weigh the car up (as opposed to weighing it in!), started first crack/ticks over lovely now, the welding`s a very nice job and the new exhaust looks lovely. My spray job on the bumper you sent me wasn`t perfect but looks pretty good non-the-less. I`ll have a go at removal of old/fitting of new later and let you know how I got on.
Vauxhall apologist.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Yippee! I`ve done it and without any major aggro either. Thanks especially to Doc and Sleepy.
Vauxhall apologist.