Valves and stem seals - BX16 Petrol

BX Tech talk
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Valves and stem seals - BX16 Petrol

Post by mnde »

Forgive me for asking a dumb question, but I'm at work with no access to the Haynes manual:

Are the valves and stem seals accessible with the camshaft and followers removed or is it more difficult than that?

Cheers,

Mark.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Well - er - yes BUT!

Problem is that the valve collets have to be removed to allow access to the valve stem - and the valve will fall into the cylinder.

However human ingenuity as always comes to the rescue - and the posh way of doing is is to blow compressed air into the cylinder to hold the valves in place. You can probably achieve the same result by feeding soft rope into the cylinder through the spark plug hole and winding the piston up. This may not be easy with the combustion chamber shaped the way it is.

The ideal then is to compress the valve spring, remove the collets, spring etc, then the old seal, replace the seal, spring, collets, . . .

Air line adaptors aren't expensive - and are available from Machine Mart and others.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

I've had someone else do a set for me that way....
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.