Electrics

BX Tech talk
Brian King
BX 4x4 Owner. Brave.

Electrics

Post by Brian King » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:36 pm

I pressure sprayed by BX TZD under the offside front and rear wings yesterday. Today the offside rear light cluster is completely dead - indicators, tail lights, reversing lights, everything. There is a multi connector which is properly clamped on to the backplate. Does anyone have any idea where the disconnection might be? Presumably it's not a fuse as otherwise the nearside back lights wouldn't work either. Doing everything in this obscenity deleted rain is getting to me.

BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:39 pm

The rear light cluster has a spring clip, just squeeze that and the cluster should pop out. Check your connections there and your earth. Check the n/s too as one or more of the connectors feed the o/s (i think). All the cabling is on the inside of the car.
have some balls
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TZD (with A/C) Pink
1990 BX TGD White
2003 Audi A6 2.5 TDi
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue

Brian King
BX 4x4 Owner. Brave.

electrics

Post by Brian King » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:49 pm

Thanks bandit. I've had both rear light clusters out to clean out the sun roof tubes. The tip about the left hand feeding the right hand is a good one. I'll have a look at the left hand one as well.
PS I've not had a good day. I just stove in the nearside skirt of my 16v on a chunk of fallen brick wall. Looks appalling, almost like a write-off would on an ordinary metal car. Rain, darkness, wind, rain, work, darkness......

BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:58 pm

The earth points are notoriously bad and people just keep tightening until the thread goes. I've put some stainless bolts on mine through a new hole - might be worth giving them a once over - one either side.

Your bump sounds nasty - they seem quite brittle the 16v bumpers - is it repairable?
have some balls
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TZD (with A/C) Pink
1990 BX TGD White
2003 Audi A6 2.5 TDi
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue

Brian King
BX 4x4 Owner. Brave.

electrics

Post by Brian King » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:25 pm

Brilliant advice. The left hand rear cluster has TWO multi connectors. I'd left one disconnected yesterday. I went out with a torch in my gob, connected it up and hey presto the right hand cluster lit up as well. This must be the best club in the country. What a result in 30 mins.
re the 16v, its the fibreglass n/s side skirt. I've let off steam on the 16v forum. Hope I get some advice. If the 16v forum has any bandit types in it, I might !

docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:56 pm

The skirts should be repairable by a decent body shop (depending how bad they are).

If not I'm sure someone has some spare skirts knocking about??
If you get really stuck I have a set of cituning side shirts (totally different to genuine). Not my taste at all....

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...

Vanny
Merseyside resident
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2

Post by Vanny » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:56 pm

docchevron1472 wrote:
If not I'm sure someone has some spare skirts knocking about??
:-$ i know someone with some skirt!

docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:59 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have a couple of skirts..... but they look crap on me, they'd look really awful on a BX :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...