2.1 engine

BX Tech talk
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

2.1 engine

Post by tom »

It is well known that the 2.1 can be fitted into a BX but I'm looking at the possibility of a rather simpler conversion. Raising the output to around 110 BHP could of course be done with the pump and turbo but there ain't no substitute for cubic inches.*
How different is the 2.1 south of the head gasket?

*Carroll Shelby.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Tom - there is some XM info (looks like parts lists, manuals etc) on the CitroenY site.

http://citroeny.cz/servis/servis.htm
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Tom

I have a table I downloaded from somehwere which shows bore/stroke, rod length, bearing size etc for all XU and successor diesels.

I'm happy to send it to you (or anyone else for that matter) but will have to do so by e-mail as it goes to garbage on here.

Please pm me with an e-mail address.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Interesting
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Really, I think that it is all a matter of head bolt patterns. I took a look at the 2.0 HDI.
XUD 90 BHP 185NM at 2,100
HDI 90 BHP 205NM at 1,900

I have no idea of the comparative fuel consumption but despite the torque coming in lower down, the capacity increase has added little torque for the complexity of the HDI. It appears to me as though it is not really a better engine in any respect unless it can push a BX along at 70MPG, which I strongly suspect that it won't.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

HHmm, I've been thinking along similar lines.
The 1.7 / 1.9 heads will fit on a 2.1 block.

I'm really not a fan of HDi's at all. Give me a good XU any day.

It's easy enough to get 140BHP from a 17td without spending lots of money but reliability suffers, or at least it did in mine!
I'm still playing around with the setup and will be modding it further next year but at the moment (touch wood! :lol: ) it seems happy running 130bhp.

Although I blew the turbo up last week but it was cooked before it went on the new head, new turbo sounds ok!

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
M

Post by M »

docchevron1472 wrote:I'm really not a fan of HDi's at all. Give me a good XU any day.
Me neither and I have two with HDi's - the HDi was designed to be fuel efficient and produce minimal emmissions, thats what all teh complexity is for - more EU red tape making engines more complex / expensive to repair. :roll:
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

I have heard that the HDi has a bit of a flaw. In order to make it burn correctly for emmision reasons, it has an anti pollution device that contains some special fluid, and this is mixed with the fuel in minute quantities. When the anti pollution fault light comes on, Citroen have to top up the fluid, although it is done at certain service intervals.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

And guess what that fluid is........... :?: :?: :?:

Answers on a postcard please!
I'm sure someone on here will know but if not I'll fill you in later!

Cheers
Chris G

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I know its name is 'Eloys' or something similar and is hideously expensive - but I'm sure you're going to tell us its drain cleaner or something really common.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Er no mate, it's actually an extract of Goats Urine!

I kid you not. We use it in all the Euro 4 Enviro buses at work! And it stinks like, well, goats pi$$!

Cheers
Chris G

tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Isnt a 2.1 engine a multivalve engine (3 valves)? If this true, wont a 2.1 multivalave head fit a 1.7/1.9 Xu engine and give more performance?
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Indeed it is a 12valve mate. Whilst the head would fit on a 17 / 19 block, I dont know if the valves would be able to open (especially on the 17) and not sure what power advantage you'd gain.
The 8v head is easily workable, mines got BIG triple angle valves and opened out exhaust ports and it breathes plenty well enough.
Although I am looking into having a cast iron 16V head made for it...

Cheers
Chris G