this is for my other car, a ford mondeo

BX Tech talk
arrythedev

this is for my other car, a ford mondeo

Post by arrythedev »

having a Xantia + a Mondeo, I seemed to have filled up my (Mondeo) brake reservoir with GREEN BENDIX LHM+, and a mechanic (french) tells me that as it will rot the rubber seals, I must now change all the pistons and the master cylinder. Is this true?
ARRYTHEDEV
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Unless its been in there 20secs and you managed to clean all the seals, then yes.

To be honest, I wouldn't know how long it would need to rot through, or actually whether its just one of those things you'd "get away with." Like running diesels on neat vegetable oil in the winter. It worked, but should it of?

Basically he's not trying to rip you off, its common knowledge. Don't think I'd chance it personally, but it'll have contaminated the whole system....calipers, master, compensator etc.

Get it out ASAP and change back to DOT4. Give it a day or two and see if the fluid starts to get darker quite quickly....that'll tell you whether the seals are perishing or not.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Would it be worth trying to flush the system with DOT4?
Vauxhall apologist.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

You have topped up with LHM - so the question is how far has it gone.

As the wheels are dead ends I don't suppose its got there. Just got to find where else its got to - and replace all seals in that area. (and hope it hasn't got anywhere near any ABS controller system)

LHM is basically mineral oil - ie straight engine oil type of compound and can be expected to attack seals intended for DOT4.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Oh I didn't realise you'd topped it up, I thought it was full of the stuff!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

If you have topped it up only then empty the resevoir clean it with rags then refill with dot 4 then bleed all the brakes till you get clean dot 4 if you get any green out of any of the wheels then you will need to replace all the seals but you will probably find that it will be ok as unless you have a leak the fluid in the resevoir takes months to go down with pad wear so if you have only recently topped it up then just clean out the resevoir and do as said above and you will be ok And thats a time served mechanics point of view. :)
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

Buy a Mondeo seal, and leave it in a jar of LHM for a week to see what happens.

As you just topped it up, the new fluid will probably not have gone anywhere. The fluid does not circulate like in the BX.

As an experiment, put a drop of DOT4 in a jam jar, and pour a drop of LHM on top.

If the LHM sits on top that is good news.

Either way, suck the reservoir dry with a large syringe as soon as you can.

Then bleed the system through with DOT4, then regualarly check the colour of the fluid for any contamination as suggested.

I would also check the fluid level daily, and check the fluid level warning switch works today! Put a can of DOT4 in the boot.

Mike

I