No fuel filter?

BX Tech talk
BX_dizwol

No fuel filter?

Post by BX_dizwol » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:28 pm

Hi guys,

After my last post which turned out with me looking like a dullard, i hope this one is a little more sensible! Ive decided to change my cam belt and do a full service, she deserves it!

But when i went looking for the type of fuel filter i need, it appears that i dont have one on my 17tzd, it is supposed to be here no? -

But it seems it dosent have one, seriously worrying for my injectors and pump :? :shock: :shock:

If im right in thinking its not there, i must fit one, does anyone have one on a parts car?

Thanks in advance

The Mad Professor

BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:46 pm

Follow the tube from the primer bulb...the filter housing will be on the other side by the thermostat housing. 4 x hex bolts and the top will come off...filter inside!
have some balls
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TZD (with A/C) Pink
1990 BX TGD White
2003 Audi A6 2.5 TDi
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue

BX_dizwol

Post by BX_dizwol » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:51 pm

stupid haynes manual!!!! even after a concerted effort, i still look like a dullard!! hahaha

Some more progress on the imp front by the way - check out this shizzle!

December 6th Like a row of stacked dimes

Hi guys and gals

I’ve been getting bits and pieces done recently, today was ace though, got some really good bits done, and done well too.

The first bit was the alternator, this has been driving me crazy for a while now, the alternator I have got is a Kawasaki ZZR1100. It is small, will make 35amps, but the connection to the engine on the kwaka is by a rubber muff coupling just like this –

I found the pulley from my old water pump, this is aluminium and the key way was a bit mullered, so perfect for conversion to the alternator. The piece on the alternator with the paddles on it is splined on to the shaft (why are bikes so much better made than cars?), I decided to machine the paddles off and make the pulley a slip fit on, then bolt the two halves together. David Cooper very kindly did this for me as I have a distinct lack of machining facilities.

I have trimmed up the plenum and started to polish it, but before I got too far I decided to fit the taper tube onto it, first I marked out the slit that will join the two volumes –

I cut both parts with a diamond wheel in my dremely thing (a very good filter mask was worn, carbon dust isn’t very nice) –

I scuffed up the two parts so that the carbon fabric was showing, this will give a good join, then I mixed some epoxy glue and put some of the carbon dust into it, partly to make it black and partly to strengthen the matrix –

Then the two parts were clamped together, a solid chunk of moulding block was put behind to ensure a straight join. It was all left over night inside in the warm to complete the join –

The block can be seen here behind the slit –

The next day once the glue had gone off, I could align the plenum and make up the final boost pipe, this was not only the most complicated one but also the most on show of all the pipes. It consists of a bend to straighten the outlet from the intercooler, into a T-piece for the bypass valve, then another 90 degree bend to go into the plenum chamber.

I started by putting the two bends onto the intercooler and plenum, I could then see how much needed to be cut from each to line up with the T-piece. I trimmed the 90 back as far as I could without ‘cheating the bend one end, and took about 25mm off the other end. The other bend was taken back to provide about 20 degrees to the T-piece, and the T-piece was taken back as far as possible.

I tacked them together and checked for fit –

All looked fine so then it was time to TIGarinio, when Mr Cooper was last round he borrowed my TIGinadraw, I watched his technique very carefully and gleaned some knowledge. So this time I ground the tip back to a much finer point, where the join in the stainless was I ground it back so it was virgin metal, and as my machine is scratch start I started the arc on my aluminium vice jaws. All of this combined to create a beautiful weld, it was so nice to do, easy, a real pleasure!!

I also took some advice from Keefy here on Retro-rides.com, and back purged the tube to stop the crusty black stuff I get from weld penetration. I couldent keep a constant flow, but I taped up each end and filled it with gas, sealing it up before final welding.

The flange for the bypass valve was also welded on, it was chromed so I ground that back as it would have impeded the weld.

This is the outcome –

This is it on the car –

Finally today I decided to make up the supports for the taper tube on the plenum, these were to be made from 5mm aluminium and bonded onto the carbon parts. These should significantly stiffen the whole assembly, making it much more durable. I made up templates for each part, and then filed them each individually for a perfect fit. I mixed the epoxy with carbon again to strengthen the matrix and ground the plenum and tube back to carbon for a good join between the parts.

Here it is curing inside overnight, fortunately it doesn’t smell to much, otherwise my mum would go ballistic!!

Tomorrow the inlet manifold will come off so I can tap the inlet pipes for reference lines, these will be going to the bypass valve, ECU, and fuel pressure regulator. Once this is done the whole caboodle can be fitted to see how she looks!

Cheers

J

BX_dizwol

Post by BX_dizwol » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:04 pm

Right done some more investigation, i think that the filter i need is a bosch / purflux one?

Heres the bugger, looks like the one in the haynes manual for the C15 van?

Cheers

The Mad Professor

tom
Citroen Sorceror

Post by tom » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:37 pm

Lovely workmanship, but a bit lost on us here, try an Imp forum perhaps?

BX_dizwol

Post by BX_dizwol » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:52 pm

Its cool, its all over the place including the imp forum!

Still unsure about what filter to use for the fuel system though, the haynes manual isnt giving anything away :lol:

Am i right in thinking its a purflux one?

Cheers

Mad Prof

docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:53 am

Hey dude, yep it's a purflux filter, available at GSF, Euro car parts, Halfrauds, anywhere really. Cant remember the part number off the top of my head but any good scally in the shop should know.

I disagree Tom, I think the Imp is awesome and, ok, it aint a BX but, god, seriously decent workmanship going in there and I'm enjoying it!
That should be a truley awesome machine! Good on ya fella, keep up the good work!

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...

cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:41 am

Dizwol, your Imp rocks mate. Love to see that in the flesh, looks like you`ve poured a lot of love/money/attention into that and well worth it too looking at the pic`s.
Don`t worry about not being able to find the fuel filter, I couldn`t find mine and had to ask too!
Vauxhall apologist.

BX_dizwol

Post by BX_dizwol » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:33 am

Cheers guys,

Looks like the BX is getting its full service after all!

The imp has taken a lot of time care and attention, but i havent spent much money on it. Ive been very careful to source all parts direct from suppliers of ebay, I think that in total including the car price its going to come to about 2K!

Right im going to hit up GSF now ;)

Cheers for the kind words and guidance

The mad Prof

Stewart (oily!)
1K Away
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:45 pm

Nice Imp mate, I used to have one many moons ago, taught me how to do head gaskets :) luck with the BX.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft