LHM leak

BX Tech talk
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Hmm... interesting!

Tom, tick time is of the order of one minute and brake & power steering performance is excellent. Rear arms are not seized and suspension can be moved up & down by hand although remember that this is a GTi with "harder" spheres so sitting in the boot does not move the car that much. Personally I prefer a firm ride. I know what knackered spheres are like 'cos that makes the headlights bounce up & down on the motorway signs and the ride is still firm magic carpet and stable on the cloverleafs. So in your fault list that leaves the height corrector but the car rises, sinks and "locks" at the top when operating the lever. It rises correctly without operating the lever on start up. :?
Jeremy, I can't remember offhand which ABS system is fitted but I think it is different to my last two Gti's. This is a 1992 model with the motronic ecu and plastic covered pipes. I won't be able to do any further checks until next week and will let you know the system then. My thoughts on ABS effects were that potentially there are fluid valves in circuit that only can operate with the ignition on and the rear brake circuit is tapped into the rear suspension.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

duplicate post removed :roll:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
moremeba
Confirmed BX'er

Post by moremeba »

Gents the funny thing is that when i turn the steering wheel to the right, the light comes on, also happens when i brake. If i turn left however the light does not come on. Does this ring any bells? I have had a quick look and the oil is leaking form the front somewhere.

Thanks in advance
Barry
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

OK moremeba - this is starting to get to the meat of the problem. A couple more bits of information are required.

(1) Is the leak from the very front (the hydraulics just behind the radiator), from behind the engine, or from somewhere else?

NOTE: Remember it's the topmost point of the leak you're looking for: as lhm can make surpisingly long journeys along the subframe or other components before dripping off onto the road/drive.

(2) When you say the light comes on turning to the right, is this with the car stationary or moving (or both)?

If the problems occur when stationary, you've almost certainly got a hydraulics problem, as no fluid is moving in the tank. If it ONLY happens when the car is moving - just top up the lhm and report back on what happens next. The finger test is a good one to check LHM level - LHM level is definitely low if you can't easily get your finger wet by taking thefiller cap (only) off the tank and poking your finger down to "feel" for the level in the tank.

(3) Is the light coming on only on hard-right lock? i.e. when you've turned the wheel all the way to the right?

(4) Does the brake pedal feed back any information to you when the brakes are applied and the light comes on? For example, does the pedal get any extra travel or feel "squashy"?

I've got some ideas, but the tests are the most important thing for now.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
moremeba
Confirmed BX'er

Post by moremeba »

All, i managed to track down and hopefully repair the leak of my lhm fluid.
The leak was on a rubber pipe that fed onto some sort of valve....which was located in what must be the most awkward part of the car....it was behind the engine mount on the drivers side of the car.
It looks as though it had been repaired in the past as someone had already made a join in the pipe....which is where it was leaking from.
Hopefully i have stopped the leak for good, by re doing the joint and using cable ties to hold together. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks everyone for your advice.
Rgds
Barry
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Doseur return pipe. Sorted!
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

That sound like the short rubber u-bend from the octopus to the front height corrector.
Have a read through this post http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1760
It's a very common BX problem.
David

BX19TRS 118K E Reg 1992-2008
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Very pleased to hear you've found it - I'd watch thejoint very carefully, though it's a low pressure return.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.